35 mhz - any value

rcaddict

I took a few good quality ones (ie not Futaba but some Schultz DSP types) to a swap meet last week and had zero interest. Quite honestly, I'd have almost given them away if someone was going to use them. Sadly, they seem to be worthless despite 35Mhz being an exclusive aeromodelling frequency and 2.4gHz used for everything by everybody.

Geoff

I still use a couple of my old JR (40 MHz) radios for park flying and slopin', controlling lesser valued models and they still perform great (just gotta remember to put the aerial up!). The achilles heal of the older JR radios is that the innards are powered by a proprietary JR lithium battery and once that goes she's a paperweight these days.

I also have another couple of newer JR radios that I converted to 2.4 with FrSky modules four or five years ago. I have had zero issues with these over 100s of flights and they are reported to have a good signal out to around two kms which will do me.

oldgit, are your futaba tx's suitable for modules?

Edited By KiwiKid on 06/03/2018 11:26:23

35MHz stuff essentially worthless is because the relatively small number of people who do still use it have all the TXs and RXs they need from previous secondhand purchases/donations from those moving to 2.4GHz. 35MHz still works well (arguably it's safer than it was in it's heyday because of the very low number of users), but it's simply supply and demand driving prices - there are more old TXs and RXs out there than people who want to use them.

Edited By MattyB on 06/03/2018 14:12:06

Not worth anything, the ones I sold, sold for £1 each on ebay, then threw some away, as it was costing me more time to list than what I got out of it.

35 Meg is dead, and all my 550 aircraft are all on 2.4, but spread over the makes of Futaba, Spektrum, Hitec and Tactic. None on 35. Have kept one or two JR rx's for my X-347, for sentimental sake, thats all..

Hi Paul

​I knew you must have a lot of aircraft but 550. That's truly spectacular! I am well into double figures and if you include unbuilt kits and wannabee plans I get well into three figures. Where and how do you keep them all? All my ceilings are full. Respect!!

Levanter (aspirational)

Posted by Levanter on 06/03/2018 18:23:35:

Hi Paul

​I knew you must have a lot of aircraft but 550. That's truly spectacular! I am well into double figures and if you include unbuilt kits and wannabee plans I get well into three figures. Where and how do you keep them all? All my ceilings are full. Respect!!

Levanter (aspirational)

More to the point Paul - how do you decide what to take out on any particular day? Do you run a rota system?

Surely we should all be keeping our 35 mhz stuff and using it occasionally - setting up models in the workshop? - just so aeromodelers are using the frequency. Otherwise someone will bag it for something else. If 2.4 ever becomes impractical due to everything using 2.4 we may need 35mhz, but once it's gone.......

Giving 35 mhz stuff away might allow the frequency to be used illegally -model boaters or fishermen perhaps- and shoot down the remaing aircraft users. Keep them or destroy them!

Suppose the BNF don't count, as they have a 2.4 rx in, anyway, and never had anything else, and never will, especially the micro with the board integrated into the model, such as the Horizon Hobby UMX stuff...

At Swapmeets, As said, they cannot be given away, but you can always try!

I'm one of those still happy flying on 35 Mhz, My set is a Hitec Eclipse 7 and it still performs well. I can change it over to 2.4 Ghz quite easily as it will accept a module in the back of it to allow that (and has been done successfully)

I would obviously need to buy several Rx's for all my models though.

For now I'm quite happy sticking on 35, it works well with no faffing about.

Mark

I would be careful rubbishing the exclusive 35MHz band based on the technology available when it was widely used. We might need it one day, 2.4GHz is a free for all. I wonder if any of the techniques and technologies we have these days on 2.4GHz could be back ported to 35MHz. I know a microchip intended for wireless computer mice is a large part of what gave manufacturers easy access to 2.4GHz and there probably isn’t something like that for 35MHz FM but if a microchip were to exist and have the same ins and outs perhaps it would be possible to transfer new technology to the old 35MHz band.