Wiring up a twin glow engine

Advert

It's wired as the wiring diagram I posted. All you need us a 2.4 Nimh pack, a charge connector, or just disconnect the battery to charge, the glo driver unit and a method to connect to the plugs.

You can always get the Sonic Tronics, which are great, they do single, twin, three-cylinder, 4, 5 and 7 cylinder versions, but only available from the U.S. and are expensive. But they use a 4 cell Nimh, and work well.

**LINK**

sonictwinglo.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 10/03/2018 15:48:30

Posted by Steve J on 09/03/2018 14:58:05:

Get a tagged C or D NiHM cell. Wire the negative terminal to both engine bodies and a charge connector (I would use an XT30 or XT60). Wire the positive terminal to a decent switch and the charge connector. Wire from the other side of the switch to the glow plugs. I would use a bit of terminal strip to connect the wire to the plug (solder the wire into one side and heat shrink over). I would be tempted to also fit a LED to indicate when the glows are live.

Steve

Re paralleling nickel cells. In practice it isn't a problem, providing that the cells are all in good condition, and are of the same type and ideally, in the same state of charge. For years I've used a removable external nimh as a parallel booster battery to an internal glow driver with no problems.

Steve J.

You are correct in saying that this could be dangerous because if the prop is flipped at any time when on low throttle then the plug is live. I first used this at the F3A world championships in the USA because weather conditions were, as expected, rather different to the UK and many people were experiencing motor cuts when the throttle was closed. Worked well for me and bamboozled the timekeepers who would start their stopwatch when i announced `clip on`!

You just have to be aware of this.

The above drawing should work for twin cylinders.

Hi all and thanks again

Martin thanks for the sketch but as Steve said i only want to start the engine and turn off when running thats all.

Denis are you saying that just one c cell battery will do the job,if so what capacity/make battery should i get because on one cell looks simple to me

So its like this

Positive + and negative - off the battery x1 To the heavy duty switch(with built in charging socket and led light) coming in red connector (in my case) and out off the switch Black connector(in my case)which i will cut the wire and connect the black Wire to engine earth and the red wire i will split in to 2 and connect to each glow plug! but will one battery do the job!

To connect to the glow plugs i was thinking to use a proper glow plug wire (red wire with black cup rubber pull to fit as you normally get ) but the red wire is a bit thicker than the red wire off my heavy duty switch( would this matter) or should i take extend same gauge red wire to the glow plugs and use /connect/solder to a brass tube that fit the glow plugs head.

Hope this is it as i am fed up looking at my bobber naked i need to finish it so that i can go FLY......

Thanks again much appreciated

Posted by Giuseppe Saroli on 11/03/2018 08:38:18:

Thanks Dennis, like it. But will it work for both glow plugs! i mean is it man enough to do the job,mind you it will probably take 2 day to chargecheeky

No, they really are good. I have one as a field glow energiser. You need a battery that will give you a good continuous voltage for a long time and not suddenly drop off. I use sub-c batteries for petrol ignition for the very same reason.