First DLG - Looking for suggestions

Steve Colman

As above, I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations for an entry level DLG. My main aim here is for having some simple fun and experiencing this aspect of model flying. If I find that I like it, I may invest in a more advanced model sometime in the future.

But for now, not sure whether to go for a simple R/E model or something equipped with ailerons, although I do appreciate that ailerons provide that extra level to the flying experience.

I have a few models that I'm considering but prefer not to cloud the input of your wisdom at this stage.

Lastly, budget is a factor and 200 Euros would be an absolute max including servos.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Steve.

Advert

I have a Libelle and I disagree. The design and foam and plastic materials combine to make it a good, inexpensive, easy to fly, light-wind aileron sloper - but as a DLG it is UTTERLY, COMPLETELY and CATEGORICALLY RUBBISH. You'll achieve only the poorest launch heights, struggle to connect with any thermal activity, have very short flights and learn very little.

The 1m Elf is a much better introduction and well within your budget. Although only RE, it is extremely responsive to control inputs, and being light-weight it's very easy to almost flick to a good height without the more muscular rotation needed with a full-size aileron DLG. In the right conditions I've been able to float around for several minutes hooking up with low-lying thermals, my best being about 7-8 minutes.

Going up to the next level gets considerably more expensive. Even the Blaster 3 (no longer a competitive model but very good nevertheless) is about £400 plus servos etc. But these heavier, stiffer, more optimised 1.5m models enable much better launch heights (once one's learnt the technique) and the ability to work thermal activity better; and they can carry ballast.

Going back to the slightly smaller size, the aileron GO Mini from Armsoar is supposed to be very good and is about £250, plus servos etc.

Posted by IDD15 on 31/03/2018 09:44:57:

Warning, DLG flying can become quite addictive!

idd

There are self help groups you can join, but I think they just make the problem worse. wink

dlg group.jpg

If you find you enjoy this aspect of the hobby, you might find a nice second hand model available on Ebay or elsewhere. Like most models, DLGs fall out of bed pricewise from new and the serious competition guys often flick off their models after a couple of years. Ebay add is here as an example, but not suitable for you o/a location: **LINK**

Just a word of warning, go easy on yourself in the first few sessions as you can be using muscles (particularly in the arm) that are not used to that sort of stress. Here's quite a good vid from the goofballs at FliteTest that offers some good advice for newcomers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGvllx83zAw

Edited By KiwiKid on 31/03/2018 11:13:36

Well if you don't mind building Schloiderding V2 "Spinthing" 1.2m is budget and versitile or the Elf Mini DLG which is supplied almost completely finished very good

You don't need a latest compitition glider to get your feet wet and gain that first hand knowlage to be able to move on.

ps i noticed hyperflight got a DLG sale on at the moment

Edited By flight1 on 31/03/2018 11:13:05

Edited By flight1 on 31/03/2018 11:13:22

Thanks Keith. looking at the ad the seller won't ship it to Spain either so no good for me either.

However, the model as shown is identical to one available at Banggood for a little over 100 Euros.. In fact, they also have the non aileron version available too ( a Chinese knock off of the Elf) for 80 Euros or so. Both have very mixed reviews: from fantastic to absolute rubbish, so I'm somewhat wary about parting with my cash.

Edited By Steve Colman on 31/03/2018 22:29:44

Hi Steve

If you haven't already ordered, then just to say that Neil at Hyperflight is extremely quick and good at shipping worldwide at modest cost. His packaging is also the cleanest and most robust I've ever seen.

If you buy the Elf, then fit it with Ripmax SD100 servos, which can cope with a wide range of input voltages direct from the battery. I use Hyperflight's own 2s 175mAh Lipo in mine, which is more than enough for a long session.

When it comes to launching, avoid the temptation to flick it too hard or upwards with your wrist (you'll hear a cracking sound), rather keep your arm straight and rotate your body. Your arm should be pointing just above the horizon after release.

Let us know how you get on!

Jon