Richard Osborn-Brooks

The Wright Stuff

Posted by stu knowles on 05/04/2018 20:41:15:

"the stick wasn't simply a walking stick, but a sword stick" and therein lies the problem. An offensive weapon, illegally carried in a public place. Self Defence/Reasonable Force is a defence available to all but requires the observance of some parameters, such as not using and illegal weapon and not using excessive force when the felon is fleeing (Tony Martin scoring double top in that respect)

Edited By stu knowles on 05/04/2018 20:42:22

Absolutely, Stu, agree on all points. In contrast, this case is one of the very few I've seen that appears to have none of 'those' aggravating factors.

Advert

living up in the north east on the coast, we have our fair share of wasters,i would like to hear first hand from any forumites who live near or in among the "London" area where the present troubles are. I would also like to see more police "on the beat" but mostly we see(rare) the SC's as they are called......the police now appear to be more concerned with nobbling the motorists....my thoughts anyway....three massive cheers to anyone who has decided to become a police officer......

ken Anderson...ne...1...law and order dept.

PS....wasters=naughty people.... emotion

Posted by stu knowles on 05/04/2018 20:41:15:

"the stick wasn't simply a walking stick, but a sword stick" and therein lies the problem. An offensive weapon, illegally carried in a public place. Self Defence/Reasonable Force is a defence available to all but requires the observance of some parameters, such as not using and illegal weapon and not using excessive force when the felon is fleeing (Tony Martin scoring double top in that respect)

Edited By stu knowles on 05/04/2018 20:42:22

was the sword illegal? Mr Osborn-Brooks was not in a public place. If he felt he was in danger of being stabbed by the intruder with a screwdriver it could be argued that stabbing the intruder first is reasonable force that is proportionate to the threat and an act of self defence. Well the authorities will have to make that decision

Edited By Phil 9 on 06/04/2018 13:11:28

Posted by Nigel R on 06/04/2018 12:17:54:

Police have an impossible job, and well done to all who do (or did) it.

Well, it seems Mr Osborn-Brooks is doing their job for them pretty well at the moment. If this happened in the U.S. there'd be union problems!

But yes, the police do a good job - there just aren't enough of them!

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 06/04/2018 15:18:29

Ridiculous. It says, to call the police if you are able. so you say to the burgler, wait a minute, let me call the police before you attack me, but don't attack me, because I have a phone in my hand.

yeah, right!

One thing, in America, under the 2nd Amendement, says that one can keep and bear arms for self defense. If someone breaks in and you stop them, you can, whatever force you have.

Like Tony Martin, the farmer stopped burglers on his farm, and blew them away with his shotgun. That;s why crime is rampent, there is no justice for victims - only the criminals.

The Police are only following CPS protocol, luckily sense prevailed and after interviews and investigation, no further action will be taken with him.

The guy should now get free counselling as a victim of crime.

"Experts" are saying when you are confronted, you should make a risk assessment and use reasonable force. but in the dark, under threat, how on earth can anyone make a method statement on actions that could happen.

You pick the first thing that can defend yourself, be it a knife, screw driver and turn the tables on your attacker. If the criminal gets killed, then too bad. The criminal was known and his MO was known.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 06/04/2018 19:13:51

Posted by Paul Marsh on 06/04/2018 18:58:35:

Like Tony Martin, the farmer stopped burglers on his farm, and blew them away with his shotgun. That;s why crime is rampent, there is no justice for victims - only the criminals.

As I understand the American system, Tony Martin would have stood trial for murder over there as the burglar was shot outside of his house. Apparently, it's important to wait until the burglar has actually got properly through the window before pulling the trigger...you don't want the body to fall outside.

It's good to hear that the elderly gentleman's actions have been exonerated and hopefully he hasn't been traumatised too badly by the situation he was put in through no fault of his own and its aftermath. It is difficult to find much sympathy for the burglar either if his actions caused real fear of death or serious injury to the victim of the burglary.

I do have every sympathy for a frightened householder defending himself and his family robustly but as has been stated earlier, the police must be able to gather the facts before allowing contamination of a potential crime scene - not every case is as clear cut as the explanation of the facts by the people present at an incident may make it seem. I did find the viewpoint that the householder was being protected by being arrested rather interesting - let's hope the benefits were explained to the poor old chap!

The significant difference with Tony Martin was that the burglars were already on their toes, and he was at no further risk of injury, but still chose to shoot the scrotes in the back. In the recent case, what has been reported is that it was the burglar who was armed, and pulled it on the householder, and got stabbed with his own screwdriver in the struggle.

OK folks we have the resolution of this - hopefully to mst people's satisfaction. And t

This thread is starting to creep into CoC territory in terms of becoming a political debate. So I think this would be a very good point to draw a line under this.

BEB

PS If you wish to continue in political debate there are many other forums expressly devoted to such (I believe!). This one's for model aeroplanes smile