How large scale electric can you go?

the 50v level is guidance (a line in the sand) for electrical installations in buildings. 12s can be just as dangerous as 14s as it is current that harms the body and not voltage. you do not need to be a qualified electrician to put together a 14s model.

If building from scratch, then specifying an electric setup to power-match the specified i.c. engine may not always be the best way to start. A 100cc engine is a pretty brutal beast and the airframe has to be built to withstand the stresses and vibrations that go with that. An electric model of the same size can generally be built much lighter. You then have the choice as to whether you go for a lighter AUW and use a lighter, lower power electric setup or simply trade the structural weight saving for more battery capacity and duration and aim for the same AUW as the i.c. original.

That said, I do agree that the cost of the electric approach does seem to increase very steeply once you get to these power levels - at least it does for single engined aircraft. It’s no coincidence that most of the really big electric jobs are multis!

Trevor

Edit: sorry, I obviously took too long typing this so most of my points have already been made!

Edited By Trevor on 28/04/2018 20:10:06

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 28/04/2018 19:29:46:

My washing machine motor will run on 110v to 240v and is no bigger than some of the motors used in the big models. So that could be a cheap source of a motor.

That will be a synchronous motor designed to run on AC, it wouldn't run on a standard brushless motor ESC so you'd have to build your own variable frequency drive for it, doable but then it wouldn't look so cheap.

Posted by Phil 9 on 28/04/2018 19:58:47:

the 50v level is guidance (a line in the sand) for electrical installations in buildings. 12s can be just as dangerous as 14s as it is current that harms the body and not voltage. you do not need to be a qualified electrician to put together a 14s model.

Indeed, as the old saying goes "It's the volts that jolts but it's the mils that kills." In my teens (1950s) I used to suffer 7kv shocks almost daily at one time when I was testing TV line output transformers without harm other than the scratches I suffered from the aluminium TV chassis as pulled my hand away.

The H&S Executive would have kittens if they saw the common practices even in the manufacturers service dept. where I worked back then.

Geoff

Hi Rich. Yes thank I pick up the posts there too. I just phrased the question slightly differently for the FG audience. I know in the US they have some really big stuff and I am just curious what comes back.

How is your 100cc Sbach coming along? I know you said it was going to be slow going.

I recently converted a GoldWing Sbach 60cc to electric this spring.

fullsizeoutput_afc.jpeg

I thought about doing the build on this forum, but I wasn't convinced of the interest given I had covered a similar technique with my Corvus 60cc a while ago.

fullsizeoutput_aba.jpeg

Anyway it would be good to hear your progress. laugh

Hi Adrian, you should post your work if you want to, it is always interesting to read what others are doing - and sometimes I read the threads without commenting. I also find posting builds on here gives me more motivation to get the job done!

I am plodding along on the Sbach and will update my thread soon. Other commitments have slowed things down, and I am being held up waiting for more stock of these http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php?cat=8 - they are expected in stock by the end of the month.

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 29/04/2018 00:13:26:

A car battery is capable of delivering 400+ Amps but but you can't feel a thing touching the positive terminal.

If you have open cuts on your hands and then happen to earth yourself out from the +ve terminal, you'll get one hell of a packet from a car battery (reduced skin resistance)...............been there & got the tee shirtcrying

Just as an aside;

It's not the power available from a large electric set-up that's the problem, as far as I can see.

It's the field-charging (that calls for massive leisure batteries or a generator), or the option of carrying a large stock of costly li-pos with you to the field.

I do have a couple of 10-cell models, but rarely fly them because of the charging issues.

I'm happy at the 5S watershed, it seems.....

Tim