Dynam Models?

Advert

I have the Hellcat, bought as my first model with retracts. Had to add a lot of noise weight to get CG correct. Had a lot of problems with the retracts and had to replace the first pair as one would retract but not lower. Still having retrract problems due to soft legs which bend even on soft landings. Not easy to Replace the leg as a harder metal needs a small hole drilled to take the pin that operates the twist and turn action. They retract backwards and turn 90 degrees.

It actually flies very nicely and there is no apparent CG change when the retracts fold backwards. A clubmate has the Hurricane which also flies well.

I would have another model in the range but not with retracts. Looking around for different retracts

John

Edited By John Tee on 11/06/2018 08:03:02

I have had one of their ME262 planes since they were first produced, the retracts were rubbish, I think the solid oleos did not help, I replaced them with some from Hobby King complete with sprung oleos and they have been faultless for the last 2 years use, to get the sound right you have to balance the fans ,I also fitted split flaps , but not certain if the plane needed it, as usual with foamies you get a lot of hanger rash, but a trip to your local Band Q with part of the plane gets you sample pots computer matched to the correct colours, my 262 has been retired into the loft, so if any one needs any bits let me know, regards Geoff.

Hi, I have the Waco, which I got about 3 years ago. I guess it depends what you want, and how much you are prepared to put up with... they are built to a price point, so you need to remember that. Mine was pretty terrible: I found the quality control very sadly lacking - the first one I had went back, it was so bad; the second one arrived and the fin was shaped like a banana, and the tailplane was "S" shaped. I couldn't be bothered to send it back again, so fixed it with some carbon strip, epoxy and heavy weights overnight.

The paint job was terrible - lots and lots of black overspray, the black strip on the leading edge didn't join in the middle - by about 5mm!! and the "Walk" areas on the wings were far from rectangular, so I had lots of "fixing" to do to get an acceptable looking model. The "landing lights" consisted of red LEDs in black cutouts (!!), so that had to be fixed and I put them on a switch whilst at it. The paint finish was matt, which the full size isn't, and in any case would get very grubby very quickly, so I lacquered the whole thing too. I had to paint the cabanes as well as they were just bare metal.

But after all that, it turned into a nice flying model - except that the motor was extraordinarily loud! Mostly, I think, due to the low number of poles on the motor. The noise caused a lot of comments, and I eventually stopped using it for a while until I got around to changing the motor.

I still have the model, and it still gets used as a lunchtime throw-in-the-car hack. The foam is not the dense stuff you get with some models, and picks up hangar rash VERY easily and quickly - they look rather moth eaten very soon, so mine looks rather tatty now despite the lacquer.

Others I know who have had them seem also to have had issues with retracts - especially where the retracts are mounted in the foam wing, which is simply not really strong enough to cope with heavier landings. I've seen retract units burst right through the wing.

So it depends what you're looking for! Just don't expect too much...

Dynam Meteor edf is a fantastic 'plane and excellent value for money. Sure, the retracts can be a bit iffy as can the servos but as a general hack edf which can be flown in all weathers it's hard to beat. I fly mine on 5s and it is very quick. One thing that I did to try and keep the finish as good as possible was to coat it with water based floor varnish, that has made a great difference to the general appearance of a 'plane that is now a couple of years old.

Yip that water based floor varnish is a must for any of Dynam's matt finished models. My Waco (below) is one of my favourite parkies. I did change out the ESC for a 60amp HK Plush as there were reported problems caused by the stock ESC and motor not being compatible on a number of the Dynam models. The ESC does seem to work OK on other motors - weird stuff.

EDIT: By the way, the paint job and overall presentation of the model were very good, but I guess the odd Monday morning product slips thru QC.  

waco2.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 11/06/2018 14:47:35