looking for a better transmitter

r6dan

Ive got myself a cheap Futaba T6L to get in the air again, its like a childs toy but itll do the job for the moment, I had an 8FG when they first came out and was faultless but it seems they are almost extinct now,

So what are the up and coming transmitters to get? it seems theres lots more on the market now so im a bit lost !!

Advert

I want 2.4 gig, im not going back to 1970's technology lol, Im also a licenced radio amature and know how much interferance there is with 35mhz its in my opinion outdated technology.

Its the actual new radio transmitters im not sure about, which ones are best/very popular etc.

Edited By r6dan on 08/07/2018 11:20:25

Get your hand on the different makes at a local club. If it does not fit your hand it's no good. Remember that you can get tray units. They are all good

But if I were buying today, if you can live with it, one of the FrSky units would tempt

Posted by Devcon1 on 08/07/2018 19:02:59:
I know you've mentioned slope soaring as a current activity but what sort of models/flying are you intending on as that will help guide your radio choice.

lots of slope soaring, i used to fly Ic too, had a carbon acrowot, extra wot, arising star with silly big engine, daft flat delta home made from insulation board things covered in brown paper again with silly big motors, an easy glider for relaxing maybe some electric this time too...so a broad mix.

i had way too many lol

As Don says - 'if it doesn't fit your hand then it's no good'. It has to be comfortable to hold.

I had a new 8Fg Super and just did not like the feel of it. It was a girl's tranny, too slim smooth and slippery. I would not have been able to live with it. The programming was naff too.

Ergonomic design is important to me.

Dan, I may be stating the obvious here, but are you aware that, unlike the 35 meg days, different manufacturer's sets on 2.4 generally have incompatible protocols. I only mention this because you talk about getting a different transmitter - if you buy a non-Futaba transmitter you will need receivers too, although FrSky transmitters will accept rf modules for other makes.

Apologies if you already knew all this!

Make sure you order the correct version. When I bought my QX7 last year I was unfamiliar with the designations, so I specified the "Universal" version of the X8R. Turns out that it isn't actually universal as it wouldn't bind with the EU-LBT transmitter that T9 supplied. I was a bit disappointed that they would send me an incompatible Tx-Rx pair, but a phone call arranged a replacement, they seem very helpful.

I've only got one model equipped with it so far, as the rest of my fleet is Spektrum, which I am perfectly happy with. I bought it as a cheap way of getting audible telemetry for FPV dabbling. It does require a fair bit of study to get to grips with the programming, but it's extremely powerful and fantastic value. Even my £100 QX7 does more than I need. It's a bit cheap looking, but solid enough, and after all it is cheap! The carbon S version looks classier and the hall effect sticks feel great. The X10 looks very good indeed.

Which Tx were you going to get?

• Like 1

Great stuff.

Are you planning to load OpenTx onto it - because that's where the real power comes from.

The X-series receivers are very good, Interestingly the X4R-SB, the X6R and the X8R are all basically the same in terms of capability - ie the they are all 16-channel telemetry enabled receivers. The only thing that changes between them is the number of servo pin outlets - and hence the physical size of the package.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/07/2018 10:27:26