Wot 4 MK3 Classic

Devcon1

Go on Percy! You know what they say - given enough power anything will fly! (But that one would be a challenge I'll conceed that!

Smashing idea on the hatch - I can see everyone at the strip being dead jealous as you flick a tx switch and catch the flying hatch in the other hand - very slick!

BEB

Advert

We may have to create a rule at the club which means hatch jettison must not be carried out in the pits.

Funnily enough your posts reminded me of what happened to my Fun Cub when Action Man jumped...

img_20151011_165949.jpg

Guess what you can see above the Rudder

fb_img_1497817917539.jpg

Back on topic.

Stabilising surfaces covered but will be fitted after the fuselage is covered. The film was found on Ebay and turned out to be from Als Hobbies. Was very, very good value at £8.95 for 5 metres, doesn't have the removable clear protective film which I discovered after 5 minutes of trying to peel, the non existent, layer off. Very easy to use, highly recommended .

p1070379.jpg

The Eagle Eyed will have spotted what could be described as a school boy, or girl, error but I can assure you it is all part of the plan...

A couple of answers, a bit misleading on my part on the brand front. A bit like referring to all vacuum cleaners as Hoovers.

What I should have said is HM Armed Forces Parachutist instead of the original great Action Man, he has been on some great drops though. He's the same size as AM but a bit heavier I think but.

The blunt leading edge is deliberate as I want to have a slightly mechanical/techno look to the finished product which will be revealed a bit later, on a model of this scale and purpose I'm not overly concerned about aerodynamic rules.

In my eyes the weight reduction is worth it but I accepts some will see it as a pointless exercise, what I would say is have a read of the excellent article in the current RCM&E special by Richard Crapp which takes weight saving and great justifications to a different level.

No photographical evidence of progress but.

Spent some time creating the basic model template on OpenTx Companion then setting up a FrSky Sbus decoder linked to an X6R.

What a neat little bit of kit it is, I'll have 4 wing servos to drive Ailerons and Flaps but what a joy it will be to only have one dangly wire to grapple with in the winter.

What I did learn though was the decoder seems to favour digital servos only, the FrSky manual was a little vague but all was explained on a great thread on this forum. When connected to the normal servo output my Hitec 225 behaved normally but when connected to the Sbus decoder it struggled to return to neutral consistently and buzzed a bit.

All tail feathers will be hinged with Blendtherm tape so I tried a little mock up of the rudders.

A single peice up the centre of the vertical stabiliser.

p1070386.jpg

Them attach the two rudders.

p1070387.jpg

Fold over and a single strip on the outer hinge line for each side.

p1070388.jpg

Seems to work OK and keeps the weight down and a clean look to the model.

p1070390.jpg

p1070392.jpg

Talking of weight, the concept of losing a little from every possible component has got the better of me.

Casting aside the metal elevator joiner I've replace it with thick walled alloy tubing, seems more than strong enough for the job and the figures give me some satisfaction.

p1070385.jpg

p1070384.jpg

2 at the back is 10 at the front.

Found a solution to make visible the LED display on the FrSky LiPo Sensor, I know I have the data via telemetry also but the placement will be in keeping with the final look.

Trim made from a hand cream lid, painted then finished with an acetate window.

p1070394.jpg

p1070396.jpg

p1070397.jpg

p1070399.jpg

Not quite happy with the crumpled edges so will seek a fix..

Lipo Sensor installed.

I shortened the the balance lead extension and neatened the cable by positioning the layout and then warming with a a hot air gun.

To keep the install neat the balance lead socket is epoxied in place.

The sensor itself is mounted on a film covered backboard purely for visual effect.

p1070400.jpg

p1070401.jpg

p1070403.jpg

p1070404.jpg

p1070406.jpg

p1070407.jpg

T

Thanks BEB, it's been a real fun build/tinkering project so far.

Motor and ESC now installed together with the fuselage radio.

I've modified the pin arrangement on the FrSky Sbus decoder to tidy up the installation, still can't fathom why they have 3 connections horizontal and 1 vertical but hey ho..

p1070408.jpg

p1070410.jpg

p1070411.jpg

Folding wings, now that would be fun on a WOT 4, maybe the next one.

Other items needed, 2mm carbon rod, 4mm alloy rod and some Plastruct T profiles.

Fuz nearly done.

Never liked the way those plastic horns had the external clamping plate so have recessed the plate and covered with film.

p1070416.jpg

p1070417.jpg

p1070418.jpg

Happy with the way the rudders have come out.

p1070414.jpg