UPS Parcel Scanning

Mastercrashman

Hello fellow model flyers.

If you use UPS parcel service to send a model you've sold then do ensure you see the driver scan your parcel and perhaps make a note of the registration number of the collection vehicle. My daughter handed over a large heavy parcel and didn't do that and there isn't any record of the collection. The parcel has gone missing.

Advert

Very frustrating, and you blame yourself later for being caught out

2 ways for signing exist for any collection agent

The hand held scanner, scans the barcode on the returns label

Or manually, a two piece return form numbered is split in two

One numbered sticker goes on the box and you sign for that number on the drivers pad

The other half of the sticker stays with you

There has to be some exchange, and with smart phones these days, take a pic

Delivery drivers often take a pic of your front door as proof they were there

I have a CCTV camera over my front door. It records everything that happens between my front door and the road on 1080P. It cost about £50 plus £20 for the memory card. It's dead easy to set up. It records a full frontal of any scammers or crooks that come to my front door. I guess that they're wise to cameras now because since installing it, I don’t get them anymore.

As an aside, my 94 year old mum got scammed last week. She got a card through the door about gardening/tree surgery, so she invited them to remove a bush, for which they quoted a reasonable £45. They insisted she pay by debit card. When she put the card in the machine, they said, "Do you have enough money in the account?" to which she replied, "Yes, there should be thousands in there". She entered her pin and later found out that she'd paid them £4500. Previously, I had taken a CCTV camera to install, but she said that it was too ugly and would spoil her nice front door.

Thank you for your replies. That is appalling what they did to your mom but we hear so much of it now that we are sadly becoming immune to the stories - that is, until it happens to yourself. I hope your mom has recovered from the ordeal.

I am led to believe some drivers don't log the pick up there and then to prevent tracking. However during one of her many conversations with UPS it was indicated to my daughter that drivers could log all the parcels in after they had returned to the depot; which, of course, is then open to error.

As Dennis has outlined, do take every precaution to protect yourselves. Do not let the parcel go until you see it logged into the scanner, photograph the van registration, get the drivers name, log the time etc. UPS do not give receipts.

My stepson sent a parcel that he had sold on ebay for £150. He sent it Royal Mail Special Delivery. They emailed him the delivery signature, which consisted of an X, and was apparently signed at 4:43am. I can't imagine any postie knocking on a residential door at that time. He is waiting for confirmation from the buyer that it was received.

Was it to a company with night security, although it beggars belief that that Royal Mail are delivering that far out of hours. I suppose with people holding down more than one job anything is possible these days.

I've had a genuine parcel delivery at 5.45 am in winter and dark outside; it was quite unexpected at that time and a bit of a shock. It wasn't a well known company. The men had a very long hard day in front of them delivering in England and Wales.

keith

The Royal Mail PDAs have to be logged into by the user and as such ping back to the office every 90 seconds their location, so the local office can bring up google maps and indeed street view to see when and where the X signature was signed. So if its dishonest postman a pretty stupid one at that. Push them to help sort the problem out.

cheers dave

The Royal Mail is excellent, recently they delivered to me just four floor tiles from Manchester with no problems at all. They handled them very carefully.Actually, it is impossible to be "caught out " by delivery scams.You get a receipt when the item is sent, they get a receipt when it is delivered.If there is a dispute, the innocent party gets their money back.

I bought a set of wheel pants from Carbon Copy. Week or two past, no delivery. I phoned up CC they assured me they were dispatched. They sent a second pair.....same thing happened. surprise In the end they sent a third set by registered post. This time the order was delivered. When speaking to the office at CC they did mention that this was not unusual and were having a problem at the time with orders going missing.

Sounds like someone was making a bit of cash on the side for a while