A simple problem

Former Member

Advert

Unfortunately the proper value and power pot is probably something like this.

Actually this would be better and you don't have to buy 10 if them.

Might be able to find something cheaper on ebay though.

Please note, it is the current you are controlling with the OP circuit, not the voltage.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 25/09/2018 13:21:34

Posted by supertigrefan on 25/09/2018 15:43:55:

I get that it's the current that is regulated but glow plugs are rated in volts, hence my reference to the Voltage.

**LINK**

Sorry didn’t explain myself very well. Just wanted to make sure you understood that in the original circuit you linked to you cannot set the voltage using a voltmeter before connecting the plug – it will just show battery volts.

You have to connect the plug then adjust the amps to suit the plug – you can use a voltmeter at this stage, but with a bit of experience you can soon make your own scale for the pot.

A lot of interesting reading in that link!

Dick

• 4 months later...

sometimes my "Nistarter" gets a little low by the end of the afternoon. This is the kind with the batt and little meter that pushes onto the glow plug. I still have my good 12 volt batt on the tool box,--so how can I give the 1.5 glow starter a charge up from the 12V? I do not have a power panel. Resister of some value?---or for that matter, instead of trying to recharge the Nistarter, just run a line from the 12 V with a long voltage dropping wire and/or big resister? Of course, I guess I could just but 2 Nistarters! ---Thank you,---Bob in KS,USA

power panel 001.jpg

power panel 002.jpg

This has been published on here previously by me and is as easy to make as you can get. The plug voltage will be as measured with or without a plug connected. R `x` can be zero Ohms if you wish because the minimum output voltage is an ideal 1.2V, or you could add a couple or so Ohms if you wish it to be higher. Pump and starter included on the panel. Use a separate 1S Lipo for the glow to reduce heat in the regulator to a minimum.