Seagull 62cc Sparrowhawk

I recently got a kit for the Sparrowhawk and was very impressed by the quality of the kit and the weight ow the components. Reading the manual showed diagrams that showed a Zenoah 62 and the carb and the exhaust outside the cowl that looked lousy. The undercart also looked strange. I read the blogs and had a few concerns regarding the kit as the undercart mountings in the wing seemed weak. I managed to get a second hand airframe that been damaged in a hard landing and the wing had been repaired but not covered.

I decided to try my old ST 30cc that flew the Lysander so well. The ST had to be moved forward 30mm so ply packer was made. The Undercart was shortened by 60mm and it looked much better. The reviews that I read seemed to indicate the landing was a little tricky. I had to add a lot of lead to get the CG correct and the aircraft is quite large when assembled. I started to doubt the ST choice so did not cut the cowl just in case we had to change the motor.

Test flew the Sparrowhawk yesterday and loved the way it fly's with plenty of power. Take offs and landings are a piece of cake even on our rough grass strip. I really think that we over power our aircraft as even with a 30 year old Super Tigre that still has the original wire carb and a Master Aircrew 18x8 I can do large Cuban 8'S at our altitude in Johannesburg. Great aircraft that I am sure will be flown quite a lot.

Advert

sparrowhawk 2.jpgThe airframe was originally electric so was modified with the top hatch, I have the radio switch in this area. Most of my glow aircraft are flown on 35 megs as I have no issues on 35 and was have a large amount of receivers. The silver covering can show all the joins in the sheeting so I added panel lines to hide the worst ones.sparrowhawk 1.jpg

• 1 month later...