Laminated wing tips

My current build asks for laminated wing tips. 1/16x1/4 inch. Also a small part of rudder

and horizontal tail

tips. Do I need to build balsa formers , steam individual parts then pin to former ,wait to dry then go on to the next one ? It seems to me a long way of doing this when I can cut said parts from solid balsa. Thanks ps cannot find any thing on utube re this subject

Advert

FB, laminating strips imparts huge strength increases on relatively small sections

And obviously, you can easily form and bend thin strips

A laminate of your 1/16 sheet is more than double the strength of one 1/8 sheet by 1/4

It is a slower process than chucking sheet in, but laminating produces very strong correctly shaped members.

The only short cut would be band sawing 1/8 or 3/16 ply radii, for the tips

But is hugely wasteful

Laminated wingtips are vastly superior to those cut from sheet. They are quite easy to do. No steaming required, just wet strips of 1/16th sheet one at a time and glue them to the rest with aliphatic resin. Of course, you need some kind of shape jig. The strength to weight ratio of laminated wingtips is astounding.

On my indoor or lightweight models I add a lamination of 0.006" unidirectional carbon, the next to inner lamination. I use cardboard templates edge wrapped with cling film as suggested above.

I tend to soak in luke warm water for about 30 minutes then draw the wood through my fingers to squeeze out excess water, I use PVA as an adhesive - lots of it but as its damp it just tend to run away (epoxy o the carbon layer). You need to pull the laminations very tight. I use pins in balsa blocks to hold the laminations in. When dry - usually within 12 hours in a shed environment, I then run a few drops of cyano into the seams before I remove the laminate assembly. This hardens the wood quite nicely

I too like laminated "stuff", Just finished a Great Lakes where all the curved flying bits were laminated instead of the sheet stuff supplied

I use obeche, the stuff you used to cover foam wings with , and like most people "above " I wet them , bend them round a multipin "template and let them dry , then alifatic then all together , I use alifatic as its a lot easier to sand than PVA,

The results are usually bullet proof , I also use the same principle to make skiis for my winter planes !!

John,

Posted by David Mellor on 09/10/2018 09:37:27:
Posted by john stones 1 on 08/10/2018 22:41:33:

I like adding inside the ribs, makes a strong job.

John, that sounds interesting - how do you do that?

Fit cut inner laminates once the ribs are fitted, and fit in between ribs.

Sorry I can't visualize what you are doing? Could you expand please?