A NEW SCAM

Robert Putley 1

I currently reside in Germany and I have an advert here to sell a Hitec combo. Saturday, whilst out and about I received an email on my smart phone with regard to my ad. from a gentleman who resides in Monmouth. A deal was agreed. Said he would like to settle via PayPal. That afternoon at 1522 I was notified that my accounted had been credited with the monies. which should be in my account in a few minuites.

Correpondence coninued Sunday. I also informed him that the credit had yet to appear in my account which semed rather strange. Perhaps this happens over the weekend, I thought. Later that afternoon, I emailed the buyer informimg him that I would nip down to the post office first thing Monday morning. I promptly received a reply requesting a tracking number, to which I agreed. Monday morning still no sign of a credit in my account. So, I informd the buyer that I shan forward the parcel until I actually see the money in my account.

Later at 1017 that morning I received an email from PayPal to the effect that the transaction had ben reversed!!!

So, had I sent this off, this nic man from Monmouth would have received my set and he had NO intention to pay for it. I have heard nothing from him since Sunday afternoon. All my emails since have been ignored.

In my oinion, I think after he sent the momey, he must have almost immediately retreived it, knowing full well that I would not be notiied for some time.

So...beware.

Advert

Its also possible that he sent the email saying the money was in your account. He could have created a message that looked like it was from paypal but was totaly fake. I have received a number of these from 'paypal' claiming my account needs to be verified or there is suspicious activity or whatever. They are very close to the real thing and its not always easy to tell if its fake or not. They even come from a paypal address, although one on closer inspection was from paypa1 but the chosen font made the 1 look more like an L. So sneaky.

I never respond to emails any more. Any message from paypal, my bank or anywhere money related i always ignore it and just log in to my account from another web page. If there are any notifications that are real they will show when i log in.

Sound advice Jon. However, payment direct to banks can also be reversed, I once lefty a company who paid me a 'significant' bonus on the basis that I would carry out some work for them before I left. I agreed, checked my bank and the money had been paid in, later on that day they took the money out!

A buyer can trigger this by making a paypal payment using a credit card, and then calling the card company and claiming the payment was not authorised by them. I'm sure there are other ways, too.

As a seller, if you accept the payment and meet the usual sellers requirements (tracked/signed postage, attach reference to the payment exchange) then you are generally ok to keep the payment.

sources:

https://www.paypal.com/sg/smarthelp/article/what-is-an-unauthorised-paypal-payment-faq985

or google for 'paypal unauthorised payment'

If you sell via Ebay there is another layer of seller protection made by Ebay. The fees are a few % higher, so you would want to set your price accordingly, or go with an auction. Generally I've found the best sale prices come from auctions, even accounting for the fees, the exposure to potential buyers on Ebay is so wide. I've sold a lot of IC motors via Ebay in the past and never had any trouble.

I dug a bit more; https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Archive/payment-reversal-scam/td-p/307072

If you had posted the clobber, and attached appropriate tracking number, after delivery was confirmed you would have received the funds 3 days later (assuming everything was above board at both ends).

If you are not a regular paypal user and/or seller, then funds are not automatically 'released' straight away into your account.