Boeing 737?

ddoherty958

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=akoJ2zBwX1o
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/10/2018 21:02:06:

A great ambition - but one for the future. For now I would advise you look at balsa/ply trainers such as the Boomerang, Arising star etc. Join a club and get some tution, then with some more experience that 737 may will be within reach!

BEB

Yes that was my plan. The B737 is my favourite aircraft and I’d guessed that due to the complexity and size I figured I should start saving now. Obviously not as big as this, but **LINK** gave me the idea of the B737 in the first place.

Well there was a Comet 4 and a VC10 flying at Ashbourne today. Both 'club' size models (ie around 1.5 metre ws) both electric with pusher props. However, I think they were both own design models. And, of course there was Simon Chadwick's wonderful Aibus all in Depron which, at one point, was flying backwards briefly as it struggled manfully against the breeze.

I can't say I've ever seen an airliner kit except a DC3 kitted but I'm sure I'll be proved wrong.

Geoff

If you are into scratch building, have a look at the videos and associated forum entries for RCAirliners here.

His technique is to transfer scaled up paper model templates to Depron to get the basic form and then build on that. The process is shown in this video.

Some very impressive models. Links to the various forums are in the video descriptions.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 22/10/2018 11:41:20

Posted by Colin Bernard on 22/10/2018 11:39:45:

If you are into scratch building, have a look at the videos and associated forum entries for RCAirliners here.

His technique is to transfer scaled up paper model templates to Depron to get the basic form and then build on that. The process is shown in this video.

Some very impressive models. Links to the various forums are in the video descriptions.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 22/10/2018 11:41:20

Many thanks, I’ll check them out!

I have flown from that site, it's Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong, but nothing as exciting as flying a B737. I was just flying my trusty Zagi which I built with carbon wing joiner tubes so that it would fit in my suitcase! One of the best soaring sites in HK. If it wasn't for the road Geoff you wouldn't be able to access the site. Not only an awesome slope soaring site but I almost lost my Zagi in a thermal! With all that lift who needs engines?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/10/2018 16:40:21

Posted by ddoherty958 on 21/10/2018 17:51:49:

I’ve been looking around a bit and I haven’t seen any 737 kits. Now I’m a newbie and I’m not going to buy one now but I was thinking about getting one later. Anyone seen any?

Going back to the original post. I have just spent a couple of years, on and off, trying to teach someone to fly. And failing.

One of the problems was, the trainer was a (temporary) means to an end. The end was a SE5A. He spent money, and time building intermediates between the trainer, and his desire. His trainer was never suitable, And when it fell to bits, the intermediate model was too much, but by this time was not willing to spend money on a receding dream.

Spend your money on a trainer. If you have money to spare, hold it back to buy another trainer, or, Gods of Gravity and Orientation willing, an intermediate trainer. One step at a time.

This hobby is a game of blood. The persistent survive. Dreamers go and float boats.

Sorry to crush dreams. And that is a comment without sarcasm. You can start to dream about flying a ducted fan 737, when you have broken a couple of models after you have passed an A test.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/10/2018 20:15:49:

That's a lovely model Alan - now there's something to aspire to Darragh - but as Don says with few interesting "experiences" first eh? The "whoa what happened there" type!

BEB

Indeed, I would love to have a model like that someday. SOMEDAY. Not today.