Navigation Lights

Stearman65

Planning ahead on my Stinson build. I am going to fit landing lights, but was going to fit dummy nav' lights. Someone on a US forum said they had fitted strobe lights & someone else said the had acquired a model with strobe lights but got aileron twitch when they were used. Can anyone qute the full SP on lights?

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 24/10/2018 15:55:12

Advert

Posted by Steve J on 24/10/2018 17:33:40:

1) Unless you are going to use at least 1W lights, then I wouldn't bother.

2) It is good practice to use twisted wires for long runs. This applies to both servos and lights.

3) There are some nice lighting circuits on the RC-CAM website.

4) Component Shop do lots of LEDs and controllers for 1W and 3W LEDs.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I will read with interest.

Regs Ericthumbs up

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 24/10/2018 17:25:52:

I have messed around with LED lights, both the Multiplex set and some Hobbyking ones, no issues with the radio gear (MPX M Link) at all and not heard of anybody else having any issues. The only thing I'd note is that in daylight you can't really see the lights, OK at dusk but not remotely effective during daylight.

Thanks Frank.

Regs Eric.thumbs up

Eric - your Stinson Reliant would not have had strobes originally, just red port, green starboard and white tail navigation lights. A restored or currently flying one MAY have had strobes retro fitted in addition to the nav lights but I think it unlikely.

A while ago, before the advent of high power LEDs, you could obtain real miniature neon tube type strobe lights. These were prone to causing radio problems. I think if you want to fit one of the modern LED strobe or rotating beacon simulators, then as long as you keep their driver circuitry away from your RX and servo wiring all will be well.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 24/10/2018 18:35:55:

Its there Eric

Specifications:
Brand name: G.T.POWER
Voltage input from receiver: 5V DC Max
JST-XH balance connector input voltage range: 6.5V-8.4V DC
LED Housing diameter: 22mm
LED Housing depth: 21mm
JST-XH (2S) wire length: 180mm
Control/receiver wire length: 300mm
Control to LED wire length: 200mm

Hi Denis I got to the Ebay add but the spec link wouldn't work, maybe a Firefox issue. The size looks OK. Thanks again.

Regs Eric.

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 24/10/2018 22:00:40

Posted by Levanter on 24/10/2018 18:35:59:

Hi Eric

In full size the navigation lights don't flash and often are only visible at quite close range. Strobes however draw attention to the presence of the aircraft and are easily picked up by the human eye. Assuming of course not flying through cloud wink

Levanter

Hi Levanter

Strobe mast head lights were just becoming acceptable when we packed in sailing, I think they are common now in the US. This plane had a full renovation in Australia, but trying to get info on it is like finding rocking horse do do. The pictures I do have don't look like strobes, but there may be one on the cabin top. I'm a long way off that stage, it was someone on a US site mentioned he had strobes on his but disconnected them because of the aileron twitch brought up the query.

Regs Eric

Hi Steve

I have over 80 pics of VH-UXL from the net & a few videos. It also has retractable landing lights under the wings. I even have a video where some guy from an Aussie flying club is describing the ground up re-build around 2010, that's on YouTube. I've also contacted the Museum where it may be residing now, but no response. I think that one of the foamie manufacturers used it as a model for theirs & maybe they have been inundated for details?

Regs Eric

Posted by Slopetrashuk on 25/10/2018 11:18:45:

I have recently bought and used a simply superb set of programmable nav lights for my 42% scale RV-4.

They were expensive but can be seen all around the circuit and switched to different effects from the transmitter.

They are from Unilight and Nexus Models holds a huge amount of stock.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll take a look.

Regs Eric.