Taranis limiting servo travel

Stephen Belshaw

In my ongoing learning curve with the X9D and OpenTx I spent the whole of the day setting up a mix to give me spoilerons and camber.

I finally achieved the happy state of the control surfaces moving as I wanted them to, however I cannot get as much throw on the spoilerons as I would like and when they are at their max there is no movement left for up aileron.

Here are pictures of the servo at neutral, at maximum when spoilerons are engaged and a view of the max spoileron deflection I have managed to achieve.

neutral.jpgmaximum.jpgspoileron.jpg

I have set the spoileron mix at 100% weight, the ailerons are less than that.

Advert

Stephen, not an Open Tx expert, but what you describe is quite normal for spoilerons, what you need to happen when you have the ailerons raised is for the down going movement to increase to ensure good roll control.

If you have limited the down going travel to provide some aileron differential you want to set it up so that the differential is reduced as the spoilerons are deployed,

Stephen, normal 100% servo travel with the Taranis is greater than when using most other Tx's & can be increased further if required.

What max travel is showing on the screen of the "Channel Monitor" page when you mave the stick from one side to the other ?

PS have you done a calibration routine ?

hiya Stephen.I have been using a Taranis from scratch for 3 years my first and only TX.Every model I have set up requires googling .Admittedly theses models were F/C equipped quads quads and flying wings.I'm currently going for the pure RX planks too improve my flying skiils. This clip from painless360's channel describes the method for Flap position.As far as I know the same princile applies for all servo travel.Painless360's channel is wonderfully presented and very clear.He covers most Taranis basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKcfPDjp7U

PatMc, well looking at the channel monitor it's a lot less than 100% (see attached images), but not sure how to amend that?? Yes, I did a calibration fairly early on.

Bob, I have spent hours watching Painless360 videos - all very good but all this information takes, for me anyway, ages to absorb!

Left aileron:

left aileron.jpg

Right aileron:

right aileron.jpg

Chris, I guess I have set them at that to give me the amount of aileron movement I want - 15mm up and 7mm down. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way - a little knowledge is dangerous! If I set them to 100% how do I get the range of movement I need whilst retaing the capability for full throw when I need it on the spoilerons?

Thanks flight1, I'll take a look over there.

Stephen, here are a couple of principles I apply when setting up spoilerons that you might find helpful.

To get the most combined aileron+spoiler travel as well as the most applied torque over any part of this travel it would be best if the servos are moved over their full available end to end limits.
In the "Model Setup" page scroll down to "Extended Limits" & press enter. This will allow the outputs to be increased up to 150%. Before starting any spoiIeron/camber mix I set the aileron servos outputs to a little under the max % that brings the travel to it's end point, obviously the same % each way for both servos.

I use a switch to enable landing mode that then allows a slider to control the spoiler action. The landing mode also switches on a coupled aileron - rudder mix [about 50%] to compensate for any loss of aileron authority caused by the spoiler action during the landing.

An update to say all is working as it should now, thanks to Chris who pointed out the limits on the output side - these are now set at 120% so plenty of movement!

It seems obvious in hindsight, but these things are always easy when you know how!

With the confidence boost that programming a mix has given me I took a trip in to the bowels of OpenTx and removed the annoying "Welcome to" voice that now no longer irritates the hell out of me every time I switch the radio on!

• 6 months later...

Useful thread this as I've just started with Taranis and have encountered the same problem with spoilerons limiting aileron travel on my Middle Phase and Wot4. (Sorry however to see the pictures have gone!)

Although I've got much more to learn, like setting rates on the input screen rather than on the output one as I did, and extending travels etc, I've got enough of a hang of it to get flying - and can already see how much more flexible the system is than my old Spektrum.