BMFA mag's going a bit over the top?

Bob Cotsford

Posted by kc on 08/12/2018 16:57:48:

If anyone wants a way to ensure nobody reads the rule book it's best to send out amendment after amendment so that nobody actually has a complete copy of the actual rules.

Why didn't we get a new copy of the rulebook that is clear yet concise and focussed on the important matters only.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first and so far only amendment to the 2017 handbook? I do agree that there is important info but perhaps the amendment booklet actually highlights these changes better than simply identifying changes in a complete re-issue? I shall file my copy with my handbook.

I haven't actually checked but I think its a safe assumption that the amendments are incorporated in the online version of the 2018 handbook.

Martin

Just throwing ideas around. At present the amendments are succinct, in many cases providing no context as to their meaning or the implications. I guess to keep the costs low.

It could make sense to use the IT that the BMFA has and its capability to send amendments via an E-Mai together with an explanation as to the changes. to all members. The major problem probably is not all members will provide an Email address.

Really being constructive it could be a stipulation that all members have an Email address.wink

When parceled with the mag, the additional cost is probably marginal, in the future, to manage costs, particularly as we are small in number, I suspect we are reducing in number as we as a group age. As a fraction of the overall population I believe we are already a skewed distribution.

Edited By Erfolg on 09/12/2018 16:54:43

The point is this corrections leaflet contains so much unneccesary wording about diversity and equality that the really important legal points about flying heights etc will get overlooked.

Printing a table showing what height restrictions apply to what size or type of models would have been so much clearer. Similarly perhaps another table showing how close to buildings we are allowed to fly with or without cameras.

Posted by Martin Harris on 09/12/2018 14:23:03:
Posted by kc on 08/12/2018 16:57:48:

If anyone wants a way to ensure nobody reads the rule book it's best to send out amendment after amendment so that nobody actually has a complete copy of the actual rules.

Why didn't we get a new copy of the rulebook that is clear yet concise and focussed on the important matters only.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first and so far only amendment to the 2017 handbook? I do agree that there is important info but perhaps the amendment booklet actually highlights these changes better than simply identifying changes in a complete re-issue? I shall file my copy with my handbook.

I haven't actually checked but I think its a safe assumption that the amendments are incorporated in the online version of the 2018 handbook.

I have checked and the amendments are all incorporated in the current on-line Handbook that Martin has linked to above. If you want to, you can always download and print this in booklet format. It does take a lot of paper though!