Wings - the TV series.

Geoff S

Some time back someone posted a link to this series on YouTube which was aired originally, I think, in about 1978. We didn't have a TV then (still don't) and the internet didn't exist. I've been watching it in fits and starts over the past week or so and despite the poor quality images (the sound isn't much better) I'm very impressed.

The story line is good as is the acting, which sometimes disappoints in older productions. Of course the main attraction is the flying and the aeroplanes. I'm just at the point where the so-called Fokker scrouge has started with the new Eindecker with its through the prop firing machine gun.

It's interesting that modelling guru Dave Boddington is credited with the flying shots. I assume real (or replica) BE2c etc were used for the ground shots but models for the flying. I guess the flying shots were slowed down to give realistic air speed but in any case they look good to me.

Highly recommended for all sorts of reasons.

Wings

Geoff

The Be2 was a sort of replica built using Tiger Moth parts, it still is airworthy today flown by Matthew Boddington. They built a Sopwith Pup for ground shots. A couple of mates and I restored it down at Stow Maries where it has now been joined by some other WWI aeroplanes from the Vintage Aviator in New Zealand. If you look closely you can make out a miniature Mr Poyser in the cockpit! I never did get it started!

Ian.

db1.jpg

dscf3195.jpg

Not really, Ray. The hull is complete and decked but unpainted as far as can be done before making the rig. I've made the dummy fin but can't cast the lead until I know the all-up weight of the boat. I've built a few planes since

Actually, It looks pretty good and when I look at it I'm amazed what I succeeded in doing considering the incorrect drawings and CNC cut parts I had to contend with. Still I got a 100% refund for that so I can't grumble.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

If you have a look at the Model Boats forum at the Thames Sailing Barge stuff thread, there are plenty of Veronica photos etc, my wing keel there is 6 lbs of lead is on the opening photo . They are great fun to race 😀

Regards Ray

I think she sails better with the wing keel rather than the deep fin & much easier to launch

Edited By Ray Wood 4 on 19/12/2018 17:20:57

In the 70's I visited Old Warden to view the aircraft there, some of which star in Wings, While traveling in the area I came across a field where the film set for the WW1 aerodrome in France was built. Had to have a look around.

It was in some disrepair so I think filming was done. I "liberated" a section of canvas with WD and the crows foot symbol on it. Still have it somewhere.

Really recommend Wings it was a good BBC production and getting the DVD set is good value. At the time DB wrote a two part article in RCM&E about the conversion of Roy Scotte Be2e models to Be2c and the Albatross and Eindekker models as well as the full size mock ups.

While trolling You Tube take a look for the Model World of Bob Symes as in it there is a few minutes where DB gives insight on filming and flying for Wings.

Loved it first time round back in the day and got the DVD a while back - great entertainment and not just for aerophiles. Nicholas Jones's Captain Triggers is wonderfully OTT but not in a bad way. Quite a lot filmed at Old Warden by the look of some of the backgrounds. Can't believe it was first shown in 1977!

Noticed that 'Talking Pictures' are screening 'Danger UXB' - another good series.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/12/2018 10:37:18

Quite agree with your comments Cuban8 I enjoyed it very much back in the day and was glad to see it repeated on UK Gold then to get the DVD of both series. As someone just entering into rc modelling at the time it was a great influence in my love of flying.

Notice you also liked Danger UXB, which was another great series of the time, and one my late father liked, and he remembers well the Butterfly bombs that as a boy in the war he had seen close up - and had the sense to avoid. I managed to get a copy of Danger UXB series a few years back.

Funnily enough I watched the last episode of Wings ths evening. Pity it didn't continue into the Pup/Camel/SE5a era but I'll watch the documentary ST links.

Being in the RFC as a piot was obviously very stressful but you can understand why the infantry thought they had a cushy number because, compared to life (and death) in the trenches, they probably did. Of course it was all horrible ... and ultimately pointless and tragic.

Geoff

The Castor oil diet didn't help either. A scarf round the face didn't help much. Many Boche pilots had leather masks covering their face to catch the oil     Did any Brit pilots have them does anyone know?

Edited By onetenor on 30/12/2018 01:56:30

Edited By onetenor on 30/12/2018 02:08:33

One interesting aspect of Wings is that Tim Woodward plays the part of a Sussex blacksmith who becomes an RFC pilot. Years later in "A Piece of Cake," he plays the role of of a wealthy squadron leader of a Spitfire squadron sent to France in 1939.

You can criticise both series for historical inacurracies, no Spitfire squadrons were sent to France in 1939 for example, nevertheless both series make for absorbing viewing.

Certainly, apart from the flying which we all appreciate, one of the overarching themes is the class structure of the early 20th century. Why was Farmer, a pilot every bit as good as Gaylion, an NCO rather than an officer? This divide even extended to WW2 where, for example, Geoffrey Wellum straight out of school was an officer but others, presumably from more plebian stock, were sergeant pilots. btw I have every respect for Wellum and recently reread his book.

The class divide was part of the reason for the resentment when Farmer was made a 2nd Lieutenant form both his former colleagues and his new ones. He wasn't a so-called 'gentleman'.

Geoff

Something that always seamed to annoy the British upper classes, most of the best Pilot's/leaders in the air came from middle and working classe's. It much the same on the ground as well. And if that person was also from a dominion country. It was not until 2010 that a statue to New Zealands Sir Kieth Park WW1 pilot and leader of eleven group during the Battle of Britain was unveiled in London.

During the Great War many more "other ranks" became officers in the British Army than in any other army which participated in the conflict. Many gravestones bear mute yet elegant testimony to this. An officer's name and rank may be followed by his decoratIons. If these include the Military Medal or the Distinguished Conduct Medal he would have won those medals while serving in the ranks. In other words there were some medals which were only issued to officers and others which were only given to other ranks. John Major's government ended this distinction in the 1990s. I believe that Sir Peter de la Billiere was the first serving British Army officer to be awarded the Military Medal!

As for the Great War I expect that most of you will know that the two leading British fighter pilots of the war were both working class men: Edward Mannock was a telephone engineer; James McCudden was in the RFC the day war broke out but serving as an engine fitter.

Incidentally, the leading British pilot in the Battle of Britain was a man called Eric Lock who came from Bayston Hill, a village close to my native Shrewsbury. He was killed later on in the war but does anyone have any idea why he is not more famous?

Going flying!

Edited By David Davis on 30/12/2018 13:05:14