World Models Pilatus Porter P6

Stearman65

Advert

Hi Percy

I mentioned earlier, it reminds me of the Marataka kits of the sixties. Only problem with them, the instructions were in Japanese. If I remember rightly they were marketed in the USA under the Royal name with English instructions. I had a Royal Phantom jet at one time. BTW I've rolled the plans & the creases seem to be coming out, the wife says she'll iron it next washday if they haven't.wink

Posted by Stearman65 on 05/01/2019 19:57:01:
Posted by Martian on 05/01/2019 19:04:32:

Look forward to following this build

Thanks, hopefully I'll finish this one.yes

Hopefully ! hopefully ! you had better people are watching this. 😎

I do my own ironing lol

I was attracted to this kit with the prospect of a quick build with all those CNC parts but I was slightly put off with the lack of flaps and the prospect of making the necessary mods, which always seem to take a disproportionate amount of time. Besides my loft is full of un-started World Models RTFsblush.

Following with interest Eric. yes (No pressure!)

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 06/01/2019 12:44:02:

I was attracted to this kit with the prospect of a quick build with all those CNC parts but I was slightly put off with the lack of flaps and the prospect of making the necessary mods, which always seem to take a disproportionate amount of time. Besides my loft is full of un-started World Models RTFsblush.

Following with interest Eric. yes (No pressure!)

Just had a lunch break, back into it now, however, 75% thinking & only 25% balsa bashing this morning.yes

EARWIGO as the earwig said when it fell out of the tree.blush

Thought about today's build over breakfast, decided to build over the plan, not as the Youtube videos. The plan is sectioned off so I cut the wing plan into 3 pieces, which were the starboard wing, tail & fin. I thought I would get the wing building agony over in one go, so I pinned down the wing section, then with a straight edge, extended the rib positions for the port wing, of which there isn't a plan. Then I covered the build area in florists film & had another look at the comic. The pictures are so small in the paper manual, my old eyes have difficulty reading it, so I used the same trick as I did on the Stinson, opened the PDF manual on my PC, magnified the views I wanted & toddled between the bedroom & lounge, got my daily exercise at the same time.. The first stage is to glue the bottom main spars to the rib webs, (plural as I'm trying to build both wings together.) I'm also using aliphatic resin not super glue as suggested, so the build times will be protracted somewhat to allow for setting time. The main spar was rock hard, I thought it was spruce or something similar but it's supposed to be balsa, but I couldn't get pins into it, so I had to use a combination of pins in the rib web & weights on the spar. Left them to set over lunch the re-read the comic, the next stage was to glue the inner & outer ribs to the rib web/spar combo. As the web / spar combo doesn't sit directly on the plan, I made some jig tabs from the left over rib sheets. Finally, dry fitted the remaining ribs as per instructions. Job done until tomorrow.

Wing plan pinned to board.

p20.jpg

Rib positions extended onto build area for port wing.

p21.jpg

Plan covered in florists film.

p22.jpg

Bottom spars & web webs weighted down while glue sets.

p23.jpg

Spar & web set up on tabs.

p24.jpg

Root rib glued to spar /web combo.

p25.jpg

Tip rib glued in place.

p26.jpg

Remaining ribs dry fitted.

p27.jpg

Posted by Martian on 06/01/2019 16:21:06:

good progress and I second using aliphatic C/A can be brittle

Yes, If I have to use cyano, I always try to back it up with white glue of one sort or another. I would imagine from the previous artf's I had, the ply is the weak point as it won't flex like balsa does to some extent.

Posted by Percy Verance on 06/01/2019 18:15:53:

I remember Marutaka kits Stearman. Good quality, but over-engineered. The worst wood by far I've ever seen and handled was in a Pica kit. It was so hard it would have probably stopped a high velocity bullet.......

Hi Percy, the Marataka kits I've handled had superb wood. I had one Pica kit, think it was a bipe, maybe a Bucker Jungman or Jungmiester & the wood was OK? Originals are fetching a fortune now.

Edited By Stearman65 on 06/01/2019 18:55:05

What with visitors, selling the Challenger & adding the lipos to the classifieds, the building was on the back burner.

I did manage to glue on the rear spar web, the leading edge & the rest of the ribs & that was it. I've decided to mark the back of the plan & build the port wing on that, just haven't enough room to build both wings in tandem. Some of the slots for the ribs were a bit out & needed work, & finding the correct parts as the numbering is a little blotched on some parts. Certainly isn't a quick build.

Nothing tomorrow as we are off to Media City Salford to see John Wilson conduct the BBC Philharmonic playing "an Afternoon With Coates" (Eric Coates the composer. )

p28.jpg

p29.jpg

p30.jpg

p31.jpg

Curates egg day yesterday (good in parts) the BBC concert was great, but getting there, got caught up in the carnage from the fatal on the M58, arrived a hour late, but still in time to queue.

This morning I discovered my first mistake, some of the the ribs are handed, the stamping girl a WM must have missed this rib as it wasn't stamped & I had glued the L/H rib in the R/H wing. This meant the sub ribs attached to them were in the wrong place. Solution cut off the sub ribs, use them as templates from scrap left over from the Stinson. That cost me my first hour. "Tip" segregate the L/H/R/H wing parts before starting, saves trouble later. Productive work was gluing on the T/edges on the wing & aileron opening, the first piece of leading edge sheet, two reinforcement blocks, a strip of trailing edge sheet. Don't know why the complete wing isn't sheeted, the real thing is, unless it's to save weight or balsa?

Finally epoxied in the fibre glass wing tubes & reinforced the inner blocks as they looked like they had been attached to the rib with super glue, (belt & braces.

That's it for today.

p32.jpg

p33.jpg

p34.jpg

p36.jpg

p37.jpg

p38.jpg

p39.jpg

p40.jpg

Lie in & late start this morning.

Removed the wing from the board which had an overnight set. Guess what, the epoxy & glue had run down & pooled of the film protecting the plan. Took a good hour to remove the excess from the wing. Sanded the FG tubes flush with the root rib, trial fitted a support rod, then glued the thin ply rib to the root rib & set aside to dry.

Then the bell went & it was the order from 4Max. Couldn't resist checking it. Being 11 years behind in leccy technology, I thought the motor was the wrong type as the outer casing rotated, not the shaft, couldn't fathom it until I looked at the drawing on 4Max's siteblush. Back to the board & the bell went again, it was another delivery, the Lipo's!!! Had to look at those so I unpacked them. I had had a Zippy before & it looked well made & the price was very competitive & no delivery charge, which I why I ordered them again. On unpacking the parcel, I noted something that shouldn't have been!, is the dirty tricks brigade at work???

Check picture 49 & give your opinions.surprise

p41.jpg

p42.jpg

p43.jpg

p44.jpg

p45.jpg

p46.jpg

p47.jpg

p48.jpg

p49.jpg

p50.jpg

Either no one is reading this thread or no one spotted the answer to the query in the last post. Maybe it was too perverse.

IMO one of our largest retailers is using nefarious means to ensure their products are the least expensive? Or could it be a genuine error. The clues are in the pictures.

p49.jpg

p50.jpg

Not the first time I've seen LiPoly batteries incorrectly described.

Whether it's a deliberate act to circumvent the postal regulations I cannot comment, however under Parcelforce and Royal Mail Ts & Cs the carriage of any new Lithium batteries not connected or part of an electronic device is not allowed

Extract from Ts & Cs on Parcelforce website on what may be sent:

Batteries, specifically new and used lithium batteries when not sent with or connected to an electronic device. No No

Why I posted this was, I was in two minds where to get my Leccy package from, motor esc lipos etc. one UK supplier was charging in for a carrier due to RM's restriction carrying them, the other multinational was offering free delivery. As I was spending almost £100, I opted for the lipo free delivery company. Now I know why the delivery was free, they were blatantly misusing RM. Naughty naughty? It could have been a packing error, but I doubt it.

For those doubters, Google "differentiate between Li-on & Lipo". RM will not carry lipo batteries.

Edited By Stearman65 on 11/01/2019 11:04:31

Posted by PatMc on 11/01/2019 12:26:03:

Posted by Stearman65 on 11/01/2019 11:03:39:

RM will not carry lipo batteries.

According to their T&C they will , in exactly the way that HK sent them to you.

account.jpgbatt type.jpg

label.jpg

Well I'll be blowed, sounds like HK sent them correctly. Which then means the other UK retailer could send them via PF or RM, hopefully, he'll read this & change his conditions as it appears he's losing out on business.

Edited By Stearman65 on 11/01/2019 13:53:58

Posted by Stearman65 on 11/01/2019 13:53:33:

Well I'll be blowed, sounds like HK sent them correctly. Which then means the other UK retailer could send them via PF or RM, hopefully, he'll read this & change his conditions as it appears he's losing out on business.

Does he deserve to remain in business if he can't get the fundamentals of it right ?