Infinity 90 Build

cymaz

As it is a wet Saturday in January, I thought I would get on and have something meaningful done by the end of the day. After finishing the epoxy and fibreglass cloth in the engine bay Friday night it was left to completely go off. Today’s job was get the choke and throttle runs in, servo tray built for that and run the cables....all done.

Off shopping now so pictures to follow when we/ I get back, wet from Aldi

Advert

I will try and do a rough weigh-in Sunday, Moday

Finished roughing in the control linkages, servo tray, plumbed in new pipework and tank fitted. The servo tray and new rear bracing, ( the original rear one was cut out to get the tank in) will stop the tank moving back and forth

ee003979-9e04-4a01-a447-b6cfc48543d6.jpeg

4543d72e-1cf2-419f-9d49-2e857256b07d.jpeg

c1fbe2a6-efdd-4865-be4a-b7f86d051a06.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 26/01/2019 18:40:56

Well I thought it couldn’t get worse with the build quality crook. Unpacked the legs today to figure out the prop clearance.

It’s a brand new model....check

The legs well packed in foam...check

Someone in quality control needs a good kicking...

758925d1-ce95-4231-9ca8-b631515424b4.jpeg

Put the legs on. They only fit on one way. As a result both legs are twisted and I hope show up on the photos. It’s not easy but you hopefully get the idea.... Score, -1/5

fce5a39c-e3c9-4418-b483-b3f19b12d11b.jpeg

b90c2ec9-1f34-4ffe-b67b-ba3f1b86602f.jpeg

Anyhow, we soldier on. Fuel proofed the engine bay and landing mounting plate. Also fixed some wooden blocks to screw the other cowl half into

3b25f168-4e9c-4a3b-94f0-77a20dca3d1b.jpeg

My legs needed one hole enlarging. I can readily foresee the current (I strongly suspect generic) two piece legs being swapped for a one piece composite u/c. There are already cracks in the paint on both faces. Had same issue with the Seagull Yak, and I didn’t even land it!

I begin to wonder whether there might be a market for these ARTFs without any hardware, with a proportionate cost reduction, so the builder could specify and fit it to his own specification.

BTC

Ooh err .... timing? You’re clearly writing from past experience but that wasn’t an issue with mine, once the jets were reset from fully closed. Might save time.

Checking to see if Jeremy Harmer’s flew today, second attempt. Would have been fitting filter and rx had the present Mrs. C. not blocked the washing machine drain filter...again..............................😫

Spent as long as I could in an unheated garage. Did the final fix of the engine, ignition, pipework and tank. I’ve been advised that using closed loop for the elevators is not going to get the best of aerobatics. So I’ve bit the bullet and bought 2 of these, one for each half. They will be driven using the Futaba 9c Ailevator mix. I will use M3 linkage..

a9132448-e053-41c9-a1d2-09658d00a485.jpeg

d8e1acac-b284-4982-9d78-f3258ef9ffcf.jpeg

Cymaz, I would have to disagree with the advice about closed loop elevator not being good for aerobatics. The Capiche 140 was a highly successful 3D and precision aerobatic machine and had closed loop elevators. Never fear, 2 mini servos are just as good and a lot easier to set up not having to cope with 6 closed loop wires.

I did the ailevator set up on the Dragon Lady ReFurb. It’s a doddle to do and works well. It will offer some redundancy on a vital surface. I can still use the elevator crank somewhere else.

Oops...blog burp

Edited By cymaz on 02/02/2019 20:34:26

party

Sunday morning, Mrs Cymaz hard at work, cats asleep, all the housework done. I set about doing the cowl. As in previous posts the engine bay continues to be an utter pita. I had to make a special length Allen key to tighten the exhaust bolts. Added litho plate to one side of the bay to protect the timing wires from exhaust heat. Various cardboard templates used to get the general shape of the baffling...more work to do but we are getting there. The baffles in the picture are of thin beer can to get the curve, this will be beefed up a bit as it’s paper thin and might bend. Out of the way of the incoming air flow.

Engine bay..

3077c3ea-3ab3-4711-99a9-dca7735e2bc5.jpeg

Cowl..

c34676f7-5140-44b9-aee8-057261459e5d.jpeg

Inner cowl

caf7c0cc-8a3a-4381-a8c4-df41a672fdb7.jpeg

Cowl front...

ab56eebf-7024-4ce3-bc80-06867d75f351.jpeg

Also servos and Rx coming today from Steve Webb Models

Edited By cymaz on 04/02/2019 06:40:53