ASP 61FS Just Stopped !!

Stuphedd

Advert

I pressed the pin out of an ASP 52 crank once and found its not the same size all the way along. The actual crank pin is a small o/d than the part pressed into the shaft. I didnt measure the sizes, but the conrod would only fit on one end of the pin

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 14/01/2019 09:30:50:

What fuel were you using in your APS91 Steve?

Southern Modelcraft MoGlow 5% has been my fuel of choice for many years Piers....it's 15% synthetic & 2% castor but I've recently bought some of their Laser mix which is just 15% (synthetic) oil. Not used it much as yet but I believe that a lower oil content fuel is the way to go....especially with the improvements in oils over the years....

I have fond memories of Model Techniques Dynaglo which I used many many years ago & is, I think, just 9% oil.....my engines used to go like stink on that stuff but everyone said "Ooooh that's not enough oil..." & I kind of got cold feet & switched away from it....

Posted by Pete Willbourn on 14/01/2019 11:52:25:

Ref the bust APS 61 crank

So yes the "pin " is stepped , by 13 thou and if a sharp edge would lead to a nice stress raiser

sorry to you metric guys !

Pete W

Very interesting to note . the step will of course increase the stress . I have replaced the crank with an OS 52 which is a straight swap but never had the broken part of the crank pin for comparison . I have replaced the crank pin in an ASP 61 two stroke and that was a straight pin . I would still look at replacing the pin with a straight pin and making the con rod fit the pin with a new bush . There looks to be enough metal to take the mod . Has anyone tried it ?

ps. Don't have to apologise for imperial . "We are moving into the metric age inch by inch "

PPS Have sent a PM re OS crank.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/01/2019 10:50:19

• 3 weeks later...

and to Laser Jon ,

thanks for the offer of a crank pin , but see above , But bear in mind for the future that between us we have the solution , should someone else suffer from this problem .

I am banking on the OS crank no failing , it is in fact a far better quality manufacture !

cheers

Pete W

Posted by Engine Doctor on 22/01/2019 10:47:04:
Posted by Pete Willbourn on 14/01/2019 11:52:25:

Ref the bust APS 61 crank

So yes the "pin " is stepped , by 13 thou and if a sharp edge would lead to a nice stress raiser

sorry to you metric guys !

Pete W

Very interesting to note . the step will of course increase the stress . I have replaced the crank with an OS 52 which is a straight swap but never had the broken part of the crank pin for comparison . I have replaced the crank pin in an ASP 61 two stroke and that was a straight pin . I would still look at replacing the pin with a straight pin and making the con rod fit the pin with a new bush . There looks to be enough metal to take the mod . Has anyone tried it ?

ps. Don't have to apologise for imperial . "We are moving into the metric age inch by inch "

PPS Have sent a PM re OS crank.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/01/2019 10:50:19

I was all set to poo poo the suggestion that the pin was stepped and suggest the difference was just wear but having just checked my bits, I'm forced to agree! The pressed in section on mine measures 0.2275" and will not fit into the big end - and there is definite evidence of a significant step at the point where it broke. What an odd design!

I would think that there's sufficient bearing material to ream the existing bush, but 0.2275" is @ 5.78mm so the interference fit in the crankshaft must be compromised if using a 5.8mm pin...I think the minimum difference is 0.03 mm if I've interpreted the tolerance information for a light press fit correctly.

Posted by brian sylvester 1 on 11/02/2019 14:07:07:

had broken crankpin on my asp 91 fourstroke now rebuilt with new crank .....

brian

Blimey Brian that IS a coincidence.....I rebuilt MY ASP91 fourstroke that had suffered a similar fate this weekend.....new crank, con-rod & bearings (the ones in it felt OK but I can't help feeling the rear one was probably full of aluminium shavings)

Not run as yet but turns over nicely....