What Sports Aerobatic for an ASP 70 Four Stroke?

Jonathan M

With the very recent demise of my Acrowot ARTF, I'm mulling over what suitable model to give its now redundant ASP 70 FS a fresh lease of life (this being a longer-term plan rather than an immediate need).

A modern laser-cut kit would be ideal (like the Gangster 63 Lite for a 2-stroke which is next up to make), or a relatively fast-building traditional kit.

I had considered an original Acrowot kit, but maybe fancy something a bit different this time round? Could be a low-winger but doesn't have to be?

Sports-aerobatic is my thing rather than full-on scale.

Any suggestions?

Jon laugh

Advert

I bought mine from Steve Webbs, there is such a vast range of World Models & I'm sure they won't stock them all. WM still lists it so it would be either a case of finding a UK stockist or trying somewhere outside the UK, preferably before March 29th!!!

Sorry, just checked the WM site & they are showing it discontinued. They are showing the EP 3D & 90 versions but the small one is only 39 span.

**LINK**

Edited By Stearman65 on 01/02/2019 22:16:09

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Wot 4 - Completely agree Brian, but I'm already equipped with an EP balsa ARTF version as my all-season hack of convenience.

Galaxy Magician from **PEGASUS MODELS** - I do like this look of this tail-dragger, and the solid construction and foam-core wings really appeal, but wonder if the 70FS would be a bit too heavy and thrusty? Spec says 50" span for 30/46 2-str or 40/52 4-str.

In a very similar vein but larger (62" span) is the Pete Tindall Spin Doctor from **BALSA CABIN** also solid construction and foam-core wings. Chap built one on here **LINK** and said it was 'superb' on a Laser 80, so I'd assume it would be 'pretty good' on my ASP 70.

The Bullet and the Calibre are very 'retro' attractive, but my orphaned motor seems too big for the first and too weedy for the second - also surely they each cry out for proper un-PC two-strokes?!

Sig 4 Star 40 too small and 60 too big again, and look like a more involved build.

Panic - not typically my kind of flying, Geezer, although I already have the zap-it-together-super-quick kit of the smaller one for EP to give it a go.

My provisional - instinctive - choice from the list above is the Spin Doctor... but  if I go for that maybe I'll just have to save up for a Laser 80 anyway!

Jon

Edited By Jonathan M on 02/02/2019 09:47:51

20161229_115056_resized_4.jpgSeagull Sea Eagle. Got my old and rather tired ASP61FS in mine, so could do with a tad more. I really like the SE, goes into my car fully assembled, cuts through windy and turbulent conditions with no probs and although the wing looks scary and the model is not particularly light, it's really quite benign unless you really push it.

BTW, CG position is very wrong in the manual - needs to come back by at least 10mm and probably slightly more depending on how you like things.

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/02/2019 09:52:34

Interesting...

The Sea Eagle and Renegade are both ARTF's, the Capiche is a kit but appears to be designed on ARTF principles - nothing wrong with that, and light weight good for performance but I'm a bit twitchy about how robust it might be in my flying hands. Of the three the Renegade seems the best fit for my 70FS.

Take a look at the Kyosho Calmato Alpha 40 sport, built like the proverbial brick dunny, 40 size wouldn't be too overpowered with a 70 4s.

One shortcoming (?) is they are trike u/c.

I know you've kinda discounted it but the acrowot kit built model is a whole different ballgame to the artf one, much lighter and a 70 4s is the weapon of choice. You can also modify the kit with torsion bar u/c and kiss goodbye to u/c damage, unless you total it.

Good point about the kit Acrowot, Braddock. It is I suppose my default choice to replace the ARTF one and would do the job perfectly but (what with the Wot4 and the Middle Phase) I'm already a bit of a CF groupie, so interested to look at alternatives.

One thing is becoming clearer through this process of suggestion and exploration: I seem to be more keen on traditional kits with veneered foam-core wings and more robust fuselage construction. These might be a bit heavier than modern skeletal constructional methods and have to fly a tad faster and use more sky, but that's no bad thing... is it?

I've been looking at a DB Barnstormer and noticed the Gringo on there it seems to fit your engine size. But there is no mention of weight for the Barnstormer or the Gringo. I don't have either of these planes so don't know how good they are the Gringo doesn't seem to have much written about it worth a mention I thought as it's under the DB name.

You're quite right Nigel. The Four Star 60 would be fine with my 70 FS (spec states 2-str 60-75 or 4str 65-90), but only if I really fancied the model first..!

Galaxy Mystic would be a contender, but the 70 is at the puny end of the suggested range (70-120). Would be lovely though with a Laser 80 or 90!

I've noticed that before with the DB website. But there's a link to instructions and some extra photos which might give some idea of how heavy or light the airframe will turn out... medium-ish?

Impressively individual covering scheme sgwim... that'd be the 80s then! laugh

Thanks folks for all the suggestions. I'm going to call Balsa Cabin tomorrow to get a bit more gen on the Spin Doctor and its successor the Smooth Operator (Sade anyone?). The choice is down to either of these Tindall designs - or back to the Acrowot, but a proper kit this time.

Of course this is all dependent on the ASP 70 being serviceable again after its recent (ahem!) agricultural duties. (I tried to speak to Just Engines last week for a service quote, but there didn't seem to be anyone there?)

Otherwise its a new Laser 80... but might have to wait until next Christmas for that!

Balsa Cabin say the Spin Doc and (slightly longer fuselage) Smooth Op were originally designed for a 91, so the ASP 70 would clearly struggle. However a chum has just offered me his NIB Laser 80 at a very attractive price, so either of these Tindall models are now looking very viable! They seem to have quite a high degree of pre-fabrication (veneered foam tail parts as well as the wings, and ply over foam fuselage components) so likely to be a marginally faster build than a Chris Foss kit.

Also spoke to JE today and posted the 70 for a strip-down checkup and tune. If this comes back fine (no reason to suppose otherwise) it would suit a kit Acrowot perfectly. This is the less expensive option - existing engine and slightly less costly kit.

Choices, choices.... laugh

Have you considered one of the classic aerobatic models from the 60's? Most of these were designed to fly on cross-flow .49 to .60 size engines - about the equivalent of a modern .45 Schnuerle ported motor. Should be comparable with a 70 4-stroke.

Also those old models were designed to haul around 2lb+ of radio gear! I built a KingPin a couple of years back, and with modern radio it came in at just over 6lbs. Back in the day it would have been around 8lbs!

OK, so with a 4 stroke, the weight will be further forwards, but that just means that you don't have to be so careful keeping the tail-end light! wink

Something like a Taurus or (simpler?) an Upset should do nicely!

**LINK**

On P1, there is also the Aviette President, a nice flyer back in the day! The Upset is on P3.

--

Pete