Retractable tailwheel

Toni Reynaud

I have a Flair Beaufighter, beautifully built by someone else. I have replaced the brushed 600 motors with ex foa.y Wot brushless and it flies nicely, but hand launching g and landing on the grass is a pail. I have fitted electric retracts in the wi gs and bought a retractable tailwheel unit. Question - what is the purpose of the cat's whisker type wire poking upon the pivot area of the u it? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Advert

Wires are probably for closed loop tailwheel steering - been cut for removal.

Edit....

looking at the photo more closely, I don't see a pivot point for steering, so ignore above remarks...frown

Might be intended to operate doors?

Edited By Cuban8 on 10/02/2019 10:04:47

I bought a really nice heavy duty tailwheel assembly from Hobbyking a while ago, and with it was a length of partially threaded rod about 100mm long - no idea what it was for, nothing to do with steering as that was taken care of by another bit,eventually used it as a pushrod for something else. Someone having a joke at the factory perhaps?

I think Andrew has the answer, it is to center the wheel as it retracts and the closed loop linkage goes slack so the wheel does not jam on the fuselage sides as it extends again. It could also keep the closed loop clevis' from crossing during retraction.

Edited By MaL on 10/02/2019 12:05:27

Definitely for wheel centreing, as Andrew/MaL say.

In the pic above, the tiller arm should be mounted on top of the bracket, where the wires will bear against it to ensure it stays centred when the closed loops go slack.

The pic looks like a 'Chinoise' copy of a Robart original...

Yes, Martin, there is a collet, and when I get round to doing the installation properly, things will end up in the right place. I just have to work out how to organise the rudder and tailwheel linkage without ading too much weight to the back of the plane. Room is a bit tight, and access is by cutting lumps out of the bottom of the fus!