Servo query

Hi all, my Winter build is the Flying Aces Sportster down load from Outer zone. 54 inch w/s AUW 3 1/2 lbs. I have always used Futaba 148 servos over many years of building models, and I will use 5 in total on this model. As the fus is less than 2 inches wide, I wondered if these servos are over kill. 5 Fut.148 are nearly half a pound which seems a lot for a 3 1/2 lb plane. Looking at HK 9g servos steel gears. Wonder if these are suitable. Cheers

Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 25/02/2019 08:40:25:

Hi I have used Hitec gear for many years and my only comment would be the HS81 is a little gem to fit in tight spaces but you have to be careful not to knock them via the surface it is controlling as you will need to find replacement gears

4 times before I learned my lesson and bought the HS 82MG

As you say knocking a control surface strips the gears

The mechanical force must be enough by knocking a surface

Edited By Denis Watkins on 25/02/2019 10:26:41

I can back up what Engine Doctor says - I use 9gm servos all round in a 1.7Kg (3.75lb) 150 mph+ multi task electric glider. They have performed reliably over several years - including the odd control surface knock.

I have been using KST X08 for the past few years but have also been OK with Hyperion and some others.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Somehow I have been unaware of this thread!

Mine was originally fitted with Ripmax SD200s. Horrible things which have been popular over the years but in my experience have not lasted long - end up jittering when re-centering.

I replaced them 7 years ago with Hitec HS81s and these have been perfect, even in 30mph wind, which for this model is quite a challenge. If I was doing it today I would consider MGs but I don't think they are really necessary.

My sportster has been in regular use all these years, unfortunately a recent water main burst which flooded my garage has soaked the wing roots and alas it's not safe to fly.

FB3 have you completed and flow yours?