source for Hobby Eagle stabilisers

Rarely buy magazines but the February RCME has an interesting piece on stabilisers - one of these might be ideal for me to learn with, since I'm still finding it strangely difficult getting together with someone to guide me.

So I've been looking around for the Hobby Eagle A3-L V2 model, cheapest/simplest of three they do - but cannot find a UK supplier with these in stock. The Banggood people in China are prominent, but their delivery times are slow: I need one in a week tops.

Any suggestions about a UK supplier?

Thanks, Tony

Advert

Posted by CARPERFECT on 23/03/2019 22:03:39:

Ebay. £13.46 from Jersey

Thanks. I have one on the way from Jersey, though it's costing a few quid more than that. Appearance doesn't match the illustrations in the RCME feature, sort of in between two models, but it does the same things and must be from exactly the same Chinese production line.

Posted by John Robertson 3 on 26/03/2019 18:37:14:

Ali Express, Banggood.

Thanks. I hadn't heard of Ali Express, but I see they're another China company like Banggood. I knew the latter listed the item I wanted but hadn't the time to wait for delivery from China. I felt confident this kind of thing (especially after being highlighted in a leading UK r/c hobby magazine) would be widely available from r/c modelling suppliers, but it seems I was wrong... Anyway, my stabiliser is supposedly on the way from Jersey. Hope it arrives in time before my departure for a long trip.

rgds Tony

Posted by conrad taggart on 27/03/2019 11:15:12:

You might find the following videos useful when setting them up - also explains the differences in the models....

Conrad, many thanks - I've bookmarked both links and will consult the set-up guides soon. Motion RC look useful: I'd probably have ordered from them if I'd known the company, and since they're in NL I could have had it delivered to me easily in France, where I'm off very soon.

rgds Tony

• 5 weeks later...

Initial attempts at installing this stabiliser have been foild by dodgy instructions, definite mismatch between instructions and the item, and possibly my stupidity. I am technically literate, honestly! But the chief problem is that the instructions/installation guide on the Hobbyeagle site quite clearly refer to a model that might be called the A3 V2, but is NOT the same in layout or features as my A3 V2...

And it would help if I knew what on earth that gizmo is alongside - the battery or capacitor or whatever, with the 2-conductor lead to a servo type plug. The guide I downloaded shows a jumper-type system for setting modes: my stabiliser has a completely different PCB layout and more "In" pins, one of which is marked "Mode" - but I have no idea what to do with it, or how one might use it...

Any suggestions? Ta...

hobbyeagle a3-v2.jpg

The Gismo Tony, smooths out any voltage drops, e.g. you operate 3 servos simultaneously at the end of the day with a low battery, then the capacitor discharges to get over the momentary loss, so plug into a spare channel or Y lead

Out 1 to 3 takes 3 servo plugs for 3 axis Ail, Rud, Ele

Your receiver is plugged into Ail, Rud, Ele

With the Male to Male leads

Tony, what you have appears to be a 'New A3'

The manual is available here **LINK**

See the 5th and 6th items down, NewA3 and NewA3L

The difference between the two is the flight modes they provide, but they both like exactly like yours. Presumably you know which functions your is supposed to have (?).

Hope that helps.

Cheers GDB

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 28/04/2019 09:51:47:

I was considering getting a middle of the range one, but now not so sure since the pic shows just one aileron output; fat lot of good these days.

Middle range £20 are available Martin

With Dual Aileron Servo Output

At Rapidrc, Inwood and Brc hobbies

And they latch on to your favourite Rx

Posted by Denis Watkins on 27/04/2019 18:24:15:

The Gismo Tony, smooths out any voltage drops, e.g. you operate 3 servos simultaneously at the end of the day with a low battery, then the capacitor discharges to get over the momentary loss, so plug into a spare channel or Y lead

Denis, many thanks I understand. Not sure whether any special free channel might be better than another, but I'll experiment.

Rgds Tony

Posted by Caveman on 27/04/2019 23:01:49:

Tony, what you have appears to be a 'New A3'

The manual is available here **LINK**

See the 5th and 6th items down, NewA3 and NewA3L

The difference between the two is the flight modes they provide, but they both like exactly like yours. Presumably you know which functions your is supposed to have (?).

Hope that helps.

Cheers GDB

Yes it does - a lot! Many thanks, and well done for finding that. My own searches just turned up what I must now think of as the "old" A3V2. Seems eccentric of them (or maybe just Chinese) to give the very different new model the same designation as the old one... Yes, I'm OK on the functions, and I trust that with these correct instructions I'll get to grips with the stabiliser.

Thanks again - Tony

Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 28/04/2019 10:58:14:
Posted by Denis Watkins on 27/04/2019 18:24:15:

Denis, many thanks I understand. Not sure whether any special free channel might be better than another, but I'll experiment.

Rgds Tony

When you look at the capacitor Tony, it has only the power leads Red and Black

So any spare socket on the RX outputs will provide smoothing of spikes of power

Edited By Denis Watkins on 28/04/2019 12:43:17

• 6 months later...

Have been thinking about experimenting with a gyro in a F/W model for a while so I had this thread bookmarked and this morning ordered a Hobbywing A3 v2 from Banggood. £14 including 7-10 day tracked delivery. Haven't used BG before but the order process seemed easy enough and I've installed their App on my phone to track the order. No UK suppliers that I fancied except some silly so and so wanting £39.99.

I want to try a three axis gyro in my Sig Zlin 526 (kit build) that is electric powered and quite a light airframe. The model is very nice to fly in calm conditions but does get buffeted around in the wind quite a bit and is prone to the effects of turbulence that a heavier model of similar size would fly through.

The kit's plan (1970 design) called for silk or nylon covering with a heavy paint finish so my model must be a couple of pounds lighter with the profilm that I used. No lead needed as the battery is well up front. I guess she weighs about 5lbs ready to fly, which is quite light for a 72" model and a very modest wing loading. Been flying her for four or five years on good days (few and far between) but will be nice to try her in slightly more challenging conditions with the gyro.

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/11/2019 12:42:21