Engine for largish cw Cub

Braddock, VC

I have an 80ish wingspan clipped wing Cub that weighs 7 lb ish. Currently powered by an old laser 100 that gives it about a 5 yard take off run.

The box says it suits a 90 -120 4 stroke, model dates back to the early 90s at least.

I'd like to fit a laser 80 that has very few hours on it will this be adequate do you think?

Advert

Hi,

one of my friends had a Great Planes Cub - 76.5 inches and around 7 lbs. It flew beautifully with an O.S. FS-52S. Plenty of power for scale flight including simple aerobatics (loops, Immelmanns, stall turns and such). Your Laser 80 will pull your Cub effortlessly.

• 1 month later...

Cut a long story short, bought another YT Cub, an artc kit. Some covering has been applied, the wings and fuselage are covered in white solartex, the remainder is bald.

As white solartex is like rocking horse pooh I spent a morning googling and, true to form, picked a model that suggests the availability of white solartex!

I have some blue solartex of nearly the right shade so will strip the fuselage and salvage the white solartex to cover the tailplane and struts. Then I'll cover the fuselage with the blue solartex I've had waiting for a rainy day.

I spent part of the morning making up adaptors so I can easily swap engine mounts if need be.

g pooh pix.jpg

Edited By Braddock, VC on 17/05/2019 16:45:04

Edited By Braddock, VC on 17/05/2019 16:46:35

One of the issues I have with this model of the Cub (it also affects the world models' version) is a stress raiser right where the aft fuselage joins the front half, just under the t/e of the wing.

Our strip is quite bumpy and tufty and a couple of planes, particularly the wm cub have tripped up and whiplash has snapped the fuse where this stress raiser is, I'll try and get a couple of pictures later.

I have a cunning plan to reinforce the strength of this area and will show it as time goes by.

i use an 80 in my 9.5lb hurricane and get scale performance at half throttle. I also flew a 90something inch black horse cub using our 100 (not my model) and had a hoot with it. Use a 15x6 and the 80 will be fine.

Tony, we are all waiting :'(

Posted by Don Fry on 17/05/2019 19:30:00:

Jon, will be restricted for elbow room in his new house, so to save him trouble, worn out that he is producing all those new engines, the 80 will produce sufficient power, as Rolls Royce used to say.

Im also in a bad mood as it started to rain just as i was ready to plant my new triffids. As i didnt want to leave them strewn all over i went for it anyway and got soaked >

Posted by Percy Verance on 17/05/2019 21:01:05:

I'm not in the least bit surprised a 7lb Cub was lively with a Laser 100 up front. I flew my 13.5lb 1/4 scale Cub on a Laser 100 with ease......

I've refreshed that, all components weigh 10 1/2 pounds, say 11 by the time fuel is added.

• 1 month later...

img_0214.jpgManaged to screw that up, basically what I do is take the connectors off both the servo and extension lead where the servo lead plugs in then solder them together , two layers of heat shrink tube over and bob's your uncle.

I also check them out on a servo tester to make sure they work.

The leads are the cheap HK ones which, tbh, tend to cause problems where the pins of the lead slip under the plastic stops, this way there is no problem.

img_0213.jpg

Edited By Braddock, VC on 20/06/2019 13:07:43

Prior to joining the wings I've just spent about 4 hours fitting in 7 off 6mm blind nuts, drilling the wing for the locating dowels, kit is so old that these were imperial, don't have an imperial drill in the house! Then drilling the wing to put the retaining screws in.

Got to dig out the drilling jig for the control surface hinges, 4 in the fin/rudder, 6 in the tailplane/elevator and another 8 for the ailerons, then I can cover those parts that aren't covered, just the fuselage and wing halves are covered in white solartex can't get ahold of anymore so using world models lightext. I'll not be able to notice when it's flying, just deep down inside I'll know.

Tried it and one similar (Great Planes?) imho not in the same league, especially for larger section control surfaces. The leading edge on my cub's aileron is over 1/2" thick and chamfered to boot.

I won't say the slec one won't work what I will say is I get repeatable accuracy of holes time and again with the robart one, which is what prompted me to make my post.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 21/06/2019 22:28:13