Prymol

Advert

Might have a research project. I have looked, and Oracover paint systems are 2 pack, and do not need a primer. So no luck there.

I have heard, can't remember where, that a product called Rust-Oleum Plastic Primer will do your needs. I have not tried it. Test on a test piece before a plane

Rust-oleum is made for plastic car parts preparation. Might be worth a trawl on line, as it seems to have a few variants , for instance I saw a white primer in my researches somne time back. It struck me as a possible if you want a large colour change from base film to top coat.

Edited By Don Fry on 04/04/2019 13:20:18

• 3 weeks later...

Surely somebody could prevail on Andrew Hardman to spill the beans about Prymol, Clearcoat, Balsaloc et al? I'm convinced these were generic trade products which Solarfilm packaged, having been identified as compatible and ideal for their purpose. In the same way, it appears that Poly-C is polyurethane floor enamel (well according to this forum, so that's clear then ... ). Unlike Poly-C, which remains available and I'm perfectly happy to buy at retail, it would appear to be no skin off Solarfilm's nose to identify the source so we can find some and continue to enjoy Solarfilm products until the film runs out ... as it were.

Rather than provoking endless idle speculation from the usual suspects, (Heaven forbid, on this forum) does anyone have sufficient proximity to be able to extract the info and save some of the trial end error? I thought I'd bought the last pot of Prymol in the Western Hemisphere last week, only to find it was out of stock anyway. Like Acrowots are, now my family have apparently found one on P 97 of Google and bought it for my birthday. Haven't seen it yet.

Sorry, another rant.

Etch primer which works on ... was it polyethylene or polyester? Clear one-pack lacquer resistant to nitromethane. Heat activated pva adhesive. How's that?

BTC

"Clearcote" seemed to be virtually identical to the original "Balsarite" (from the US), though the current Balsarite seems to be a poor imitation of the original. This would indicate that it is a "generic" substance, as indicated above. I would guess that "Solarlac" is the same stuff with dye added.

Frankly, I haven't found any other paint / fuel-proofer worthy of the name and I'm amazed that no-one has stepped in to fill this hole in the market!

In days of yore, Kingston Diamond polyurethane paint was about as good as you could get then that disappeared! To lose Clearcote and Solarlac is a real blow to those of us who still actually build models.....

--

Pete