Hawker Typhoon

Last Sunday took a drive to the Hawker Typhoon Restoration Group's HQ at Uckfield for their members open day. The object of the enterprise is to restore a Typhoon to flying condition, as all of the RAF's Typhoons were scrapped shortly after WW2 no mean target.

On arrival I was most impressed with the number of parts that have been tracked down and collected over the past few years. Here are a few of the more recognisable ones.

m_img_2560.jpg

The legendary 37 litre 2200HP Napier Sabre sleeve valve 24 cylinder supercharged engine. This has been donated by Cranfield University and is believed to be unused and inhibited from new.

m_img_2562.jpg

The front fuselage with part cockpit.

m_img_2561.jpg

The rear fuselage, this is the first major part to be restored and by now on its way to Airframe Assemblies for work to commence, big bucks.

If any of you think this project is worthy of your support please visit here **LINK**

There is a dedicated team running this project but basically a great deal of money is required to complete this project so any donation large or small is appreciated, thank you.

Dave.

Edited By David Quartermaine on 09/04/2019 11:54:50

Edited By David Quartermaine on 09/04/2019 12:01:07

Advert

Posted by David Quartermaine on 09/04/2019 11:32:33:

m_img_2560.jpg

The legendary 37 litre 2200HP Napier Sabre sleeve valve 24 cylinder supercharged engine. This has been donated by Cranfield University and is believed to be unused and inhibited from new.

A magnificent lump. I would have loved to see - and in particular hear - it in a MkV Tempest but this would be the next best thing...

If you look at the size of the pilot's seat in the second of David's photos it gives scale to the sheer size of the Sabre engine - but what a compact package it is for its capacity and number of cylinders.

It's a very ambitious project - let's hope we all live long enough to reap the benefits! Kermit Weeks doesn't seem to be in any rush with his MkV Tempest but I live in hope...

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/04/2019 13:55:25

Martin, if you get a moment watch some of Kermit week's videos on youtube. The basic problem he seems to have is he has more or less one of everything with wings ever made. In almost every video you hear about another project he has stashed away somewhere.

The sabre engine for many years was also the big issue so if he, these guys, and the group in canada doing a typhoon can all get together its likely there will be some progress. I think the canadian group are intending to re-manufacture from scratch using original drawings. Frankly, i think this is what they should be doing with all of these older engines as safety and reliability can only be improved by using new parts.

In any case, their target for flight is 2024 i think so fingers crossed it wont be long

Thanks for the interest shown. My main reason for posting was making people aware of the project, raising interest and to be brutally honest getting some money flowing into the groups coffers by becoming a member or just donating. This is the overwhelming basic requirement to keep things going, just click on the link in my first post to find out more.

Andy doesn't need recruiting and seems to be made of the right stuff.

Martin once again, funding, given enough the finish target date is 2024 the 25th anniversary of D-Day so hopefully you could see and hear. Actually they have a Tempest fuselage, it has Indian roundels so most likely a Mk11.This came in a job lot of parts and jigs bought as a lot of them are common to both designs. They are looking for more Sabres so who knows regarding a MkV.

Doc, The HQ is a factory unit in Uckfield and is primally an office and storage facility. A few times a year it is made more presentable as an open day for members to see and hear the latest developments. They do have stands at major air shows for fund raising, this worked very well for the Duxford Blenheim as I remember.

Jon's post came in as I posted, good points. Building a Sabre from scratch is stretching my imagination, something for Laser to take on once the twins are back in stock wink.

Dave.

Edited By David Quartermaine on 09/04/2019 16:35:23

Edited By David Quartermaine on 09/04/2019 16:43:19

Edited By David Quartermaine on 09/04/2019 16:43:55

Edited By David Quartermaine on 09/04/2019 16:45:47

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 09/04/2019 16:27:13:

Martin, if you get a moment watch some of Kermit week's videos on youtube. The basic problem he seems to have is he has more or less one of everything with wings ever made. In almost every video you hear about another project he has stashed away somewhere.

Unless there's a very recent update, I think I've probably already seen them all. My only reservation with the Tiffie project is the acquisition of a Tempest project to supply parts as well as for use of the jigs. Was there no chance of restoring this Tempest or are there plans to eventually restore whatever is left?