Cambria Slingsby Eagle Restoration

Cliff 1959

Advert

Nice model but is it really a Slingsby Eagle? The full size was a 2 seater with the instructor seated behind the wing leading edge and the second canopy opening upwards - you closed that one first before the side hinged front cockpit. I know all this because I learned to fly in a Slingsby Eagle - aka the mahogony bomber on account of its weight! Sorry to be picky but it ain't an Eagle especially with dihedral outboard of the centre section.

My first RC model too - about the same time as Stuart - gave me some unforgettable early lessons in tip-stalls -largely cured by stripping the covering of the outer wing panels, damping then twisting in some washout (at my mentor's suggestion using a dilute ammonia solution) and left pinned on the board for a few days for everything to dry and then re-covered taking care to retain the now "built in" washout. The Eagle was misguided by me using a 3rd hand Skyleader set ( on 27 meg' Blue ) - the set though was utterly reliable and felt really nice in the hand too. I don't know if you've put a tow hook on your reincarnated Eagle, but mine was brilliant on a bungee too - the noise as she went up on the bungee was addictive. And the sight of her in the air - - - - she just looked "right" - seeing your video leaves a lump in my throat. My Eagle finally succumbed in her second season when I lost her over the back of a slope at Malvern - the bits I got back were past repair - so I built an Impala, covered it in doped nylon which survived for years, it flew well and was hugely strong but it didn't have that certain something. So I bought a Capstan kit - !

Peter: The model was described by Cambria as a "Semi scale slope soarer" it was based on the Eagle, but not particularly scale.

Old Geezer: Sprengbrook 2ch  27mhz Brown for me She really was a lovely model in the air wasn't she? Mine was also my first Solarfilm job. 

Edited By Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 17/05/2019 08:55:43

Edited By Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 17/05/2019 08:56:14

Edited By Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 17/05/2019 08:56:34