Best cleaning method?

SIMON CRAGG

Advert

I use an ultra sonic cleaner with Surf biological soap powder don't use Daz it reacts with the castings for some reason putting white marks on it. But just using a small amount in a bowl or cup with boiling water and a toothbrush will bring it right up. For me it's the cheapest easiest and most convenient way I have found without buying anything special or getting it sandblasted. And if I clean it and it's badly corroded /mottled I have just started painting them satin black then put them in a cheap toaster oven for an hour.

Posted by will -0 on 23/05/2019 15:29:07:

See here

Edited By will -0 on 23/05/2019 15:29:27

Where is the chuckle button.....................LOL

However...................Google may well be the ruin of conversation Will-O. kisswink

Simon..............That is clean..............cheeky

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 23/05/2019 15:36:28

Firstly, why are you cleaning it? Looks OK to me and I don't think cleaning an SC is going to add to the value if you're selling it. If you start using it again, it'll no doubt end up in a similar state soon enough.

Secondly, to add to tartan's email, I'd disassemble it first before giving it a bath.

Talking of re-paining it, I rather liked this listing for a "new" 40LA the other day.

New my RS.

Edited By will -0 on 23/05/2019 15:36:59

Hi Simon . Ask around your club if anyone base a bead blasting cabinet. It will bring engine casings up like new. Make sure the blast medium is " glass bead " or it will cause a tough finish but beads will furnish the finish to original

Engine will have to be stripped out totally but it is worth it and will be like new.