Ink Jet Printing

John McClean 1

Hi. Is it possible to create words, pictures, decals etc on a PC and print them on an ink jet printer on some type of film which could then be put on the model ?

The film would need to be transparent so you don't need to cut out the design, just a rectangle around it so the covering shows through. It would obviously need to be fuel proofed.

Regards John

I've used both inkjet waterslide paper and inkjet sticky vinyl for decals. For either of them I give them a spray of varnish once the ink's dry, and before cutting them out (so that sweaty fingers can't smudge them). Never mind how clear the backing is, it will still show on the finished article, so its best to cut round the image as neatly as possible, rather than just a rectangle.

Posted by John McClean 1 on 02/06/2019 10:44:44:

Hi. Is it possible to create words, pictures, decals etc on a PC and print them on an ink jet printer on some type of film which could then be put on the model ?

The film would need to be transparent so you don't need to cut out the design, just a rectangle around it so the covering shows through. It would obviously need to be fuel proofed.

Regards John

Yes, it is. HOWEVER I would have it done at a copy shop on a laser printer because you have to be really careful making sure the ink doesn't run. I got some A4 transparent water slide decal paper from my LMS (Addlestone models) and it worked ok on an inkjet. It worked better on a laser jet.

I have done this, it's OK under some circumstances, but the base colour will affect the final result, dark images/letters on a light background work very well but a light image on a dark background not so. I made up a gold logo to go on a dark red plane and while the transfer looked really good out of the printer, applied to the plane the red background completely distorts the colour.

If they are simple one colour images then getting them made on a vinyl cutter is much better,

I don't know if this will work but back in the day when a single channel outfit cost a fortnight's wages, we used to make waterslide decals from gummed paper.

You gave the gummed side a lick of thinned dope (or varnish) and painted on the required decal. Now whether an inkjet will work on a doped surface I don't know (I gravitated to hand painting markings directly) but it may work with a laser using this sort of paper

Epson inkjet is waterproof, used by free flight modellers to print on tissue which is then tightened with steam or water, example below (not my own work!):

printed tissue 1.jpg

printed tissue 2.jpg

I don't know how well it would print on decal paper, or whether it would react with fuel-proofer... but you can easily do so quick tests.

Edited By Jonathan M on 05/06/2019 08:36:07

I have often printed onto A4 sized waterslide transfer paper. The trick is to print first, I then spray over the decal with Halfords clear lacquer (rattle can) to waterproof the artwork then simply dunk into water and transfer,

paint1.jpg

The flag on the fin of my Chippie was done this way

Martyn

Very possible and quite easy to do. I make a lot of custom markings for my Models using exactly the methods described above. They come out well.

This one is covered in various markings (some small ones on there too that are found on the real thing)

dscf2687.jpg

dscf2855.jpg

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 12/06/2019 01:41:43

I used to tape a piece of transparent solarfilm to a sheet of A4 STICKY SIDE facing the printer.

I would then print a MIRROR image of the "decal" onto the sticky side.

When applied to the plane's wing surface, the printing is now protected from rain/fuel etc. and of course is the right way up.

You do have to be careful and get the taping smooth to ensure it doesnt snag in the printer.