Advert

Originally the Junior 60 was a free flight kit hence the need for all of that dihedral to ensure lateral stability. I learned to fly on this one. At the time it was powered by an Irvine 21 but I have subsequently converted it to electric power. mind you it's a bit like Trigger's Broom, it's on its second fuselage and third tailplane.

junior 60 in flight.jpg

Build as per plan. Having built J60 and also Black Magic with both starting as i.c. and converting to electric just build as per plan as far as wing dihedral is concerned at least, and of course CofG.

They fly beautifully on electric power whether with a good old brushed Speed 600 and gearbox, or with brushless 3536 motor and 3s lip pack. The thing is they are great fun and great even using them to 'thermal soar'. Just remember to think how you will modify to access and hold the battery pack in so that connecting the pack is easy. One of the members in my club keeps taking the wings off every time to change, conect or disconnect his batteyr pack.

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 13/06/2019 12:23:31:

David, as the model in the photo been altered?

seen J60`s from afar and the dihedral`s look much less than my plan, perhaps these have been adapted for power. I intend to electric power mine, should I use less dihedral of leave as per?

No Gary, this model was my first successful R/C model and was built totally stock from a Flair kit so the dihedral is standard, six inches under each wing tip.

This model is a joy to fly but not in the conventional r/c sense, just treat it as a guided free flight model using the motor to climb or descend and the rudder to control direction. The elevator is only really used for flaring on landing.

I've built two of these models. The red and yellow one was built for electric flight from the start but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I was much younger then!

junior 60 2.jpg

Mine has an OS40FS. I re-engined with this after giving up on the Speed 600 + gearbox! I fly mine "conventionally", i.e. its repertoire includes loops and rolls, even rolling circles (if the sometimes fractious engine is going really well...)

11223781_1481930128788049_7412553378299644587_o.jpg

j60 (3).jpg

(wish you could still get those Bolly Clubman props...)

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 13/06/2019 15:05:37:

Have not seen many close up pictures of electric conversions.

Blog of my Jnr 60 refurb & electric conversion here .

The model was built from the Flair kit for ic power around 1987 then converted to electric in 2012/13. The build incorporated several mods including bolt on wings, removable tail, inverted engine mounted on a paxolin plate, hard point for floats etc.

Mods to original build in this drawing, if anyone is interested PM me their email address for pdf file that can be more easily viewed & printed at full size if required.

jnr60_mods.jpg