Is it now time for cyclists to wear an identifier and pay a tax?

Tim Kearsley

Advert

? How would you use the money that's being used for the insurance premium for cycle paths too. Are you going to photocopy it or something?

I think you have a naive view of the purpose of most "cycle" infrastructure. In many cases it is much more dangerous to use the cycle infrastructure than the main highway.

Posted by will -0 on 21/06/2019 22:53:50:
Posted by Doc Marten on 21/06/2019 22:48:36:
the identifier question has been largely avoided.

oo I dunno, I think the first answer summed up everything that needed to be said. Can you imagine the bureaucracy

Posted by Doc Marten on 21/06/2019 22:54:10:
Posted by will -0 on 21/06/2019 22:42:37:

? How would you use the money that's being used for the insurance premium for cycle paths too. Are you going to photocopy it or something?

I think you have a naive view of the purpose of most "cycle" infrastructure. In many cases it is much more dangerous to use the cycle infrastructure than the main highway.

Is the entire membership fee used for the insurance cover?

If that's true then surely a contribution from those needing that safe cycle infrastructure would be a massive and welcome boost?

Where do you imagine this is paid from at the moment?

Posted by Doc Marten on 21/06/2019 22:58:01:
Posted by will -0 on 21/06/2019 22:53:50:

oo I dunno, I think the first answer summed up everything that needed to be said.

Which one? The first answer was, "No".

Precisely

Posted by Doc Marten on 21/06/2019 23:03:40:

Educate me.

If you need to identify me as a cyclist, that's easy.................I'm the One on the bike, wearing the funny hat with a camera on it................surprise

D.D.

I think playtime222 summed it up there very well, culture and infrastructure.

Here in Ireland things have improved quite a bit culturally since a bike to work scheme was introduced and got lots more people on bikes....result is that more drivers are also cyclists and have empathy for cyclists when they see them from behind the wheel.

Empathy is catching also....see it all the time, 1st car in a line of 3 or 4 overtakes and gives huuuge amount of room, 4 wheels acrosd other side of road....then the following 3 cars do exactly the same.

Our infrastructure is $hite still compared to Denmark or Holland....but at least the culture change has begun.

We also had a law proposed whereby it was required to give at least 1.5m clearance when overtaking any bike.....it failed to pass, but at least it got us talking about it and 90% of traffic really make the effort to give a lot of space. The other 10% give varying amounts!

I always wave to say thanks when they give huuuge space overtaking....it really has improved here over the last 10 years.

Been on the bike since 1991 and it was abysmal back then. Better now!

I try and help traffic on twisty roads and if I can see its clear ahead, give the car behind a signal to overtake......only if its 100% clear for a long way ahead, more than needed for slow overtake.......again a culture thing to show empathy back to the driver. I hope if they see me speed up, crane me neck to see if clear then it reduces road rage to know I acknowledge them behind and am trying to help them out.

A mile in someone elses shoes.....be it car driver, truck driver, motorbike rider, pedestrian, horse rider or runner....it opens eyes to previously unconsidered positions and breeds empathy and sympathy.

It would be imposdible really, but in an ideal world if we could be put with a cyclist on a bike, walk with pedestrians, sit in truck for a day, ride in a slow moving tractor, out with a motorbike rider, on horseback for a day each.......we would learn a lot more from each persective and have patience and empathy for all othet road users.

And this would rule out any ideas of imposing extra taxes on road using groups as just a knee-jerk reaction.

Doc, the question you've attributed to me bears no resemblance to the one I asked.

I have no idea if the fee entirely is used to cover the insurance, I imagine cycling UK have other outgoings to pay for, but as a charitable organisation I doubt they are creaming huge profits from the membership fees in order to pay for whatever fantasy you have.

Posted by Doc Marten on 21/06/2019 23:23:58:

Dwain, the quote you've attributed to me bears no resemblance to the original replies, I'm sure you know what I mean by an "identifier".

I appreciate the link but I asked if the membership fee is used entirely for the cover in response to Will-O asking how the money could be generated.

I know doc, just pullin yer leg.......kiss

The money to get the infrastructure seen in my video link would have to come from the Government, and would be a massive upheaval and need a drastic change in peoples outlook on things, to give cyclists priority on the roads.

British cycling (£24), and cycling Uk (£45). Provide ins plus other benefits such as lobbying and support for the changes needed to make cycling safer for everyone. Cycling is safe, but peoples perception of it keeps them off a bike.

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 21/06/2019 23:40:58

A shift in case outcomes driven by insurance companies, possibly with assistance from appropriate legislation (Hahahaha! I know, I know), would push drivers further away from the bikes but it should only be part of the equation.

I used to have an example of this where the law didn't have to change but the insurance companies stopped paying and the... whatever it was changed. Dammit...