The German Airplane Museum

Rene Wallage

Coming back from a long weekend of glider guiding in the Tiroler Alps, we had some time to kill before flying back from Munich Airport. We had heard of the German Airplane Museum, so Google is your friend, and Whatsapp his guide, and ended up spending 2.5 hours admiring a vast selection of airplanes of all sorts. Even included was a display of model airplanes, and a glass case of model airplane engines. Now, I am a confirmed glider guider, and will sometimes even put one of those electickery thingies up front, but IC engines do not speak to me. But I know there are those of you who will drool over these pictures.

Enjoy!

engines16.jpegengines15.jpegengines14.jpegengines13.jpegengines12.jpegengines11.jpegengines10.jpegengines09.jpegengines08.jpegengines07.jpegengines06.jpegengines05.jpegengines04.jpegengines02.jpegengines03.jpegengines01.jpeg

Edited By Rene Wallage on 15/07/2019 08:01:53

Advert

I visited the museum two years ago as you showed , a very fine collection of model engines and aircraft as you showed, on the Sunday we were there, there was a round the pole demonstration , it was brill, what more could a person ask for models , and , a fabulous collection of aircraft and engines

I only went to Oberschleissheim on a nostalgia trip.. it had been about 45 years since we had gone on what was my first exercise after arriving in Germany as a very young REME Craftsman mechanic and we had the workshop set up in the field around the perimeter of the then Bundes Luftwaffe airfield watching the daily flights of OV10s and the occasional F104G ... magic days

Edited By Gordon Nicol on 15/07/2019 09:40:27

img_7346min.jpgimg_7343min.jpgimg_7342min.jpgwk8.jpgwk5.jpgwk3.jpgwk28.jpgwk23.jpgwk21.jpgwk16.jpgwk15.jpg

Not sure if things have changed since I was last there, but as well as Oberschleissheim, the Deutsches Museum in Munich also has a large section on model flying and its development. The German gliding centre at Wasserkuppe has a huge and superb model flying museum, part-funded by the EU, as well as the main exhibits of historic gliders; one of the slopes there is regularly used by RC soarers. There’s another one in Helsinki, the AMA has one at their headquarters at Muncie and in France there’s one at Angers-Loire airport. If they can do it then surely British model flying needs something similar to recognise and preserve its heritage and to inspire newcomers.

You probably know the BMFA intends to eventually have a similar museum at Buckminster, but funding is one of the problems; have you seen the cost of a glass case? Any generous sponsors out there? Another is that a lot of important items are just vanishing in house clearances. We've preserved some items already. Among them is the twin rubber motor A-frame model that Richard (later Sir Richard) Fairey flew to win an early K&MAA Cup in 1910, using the eventual proceeds to found Fairey Aviation; from more recent times we have a Gastove F1C model, built by Mike Gaster, the design he used to win the 1956 World Championships, and Pete Wright’s record-setting 2.5 cm3 CL speed model. There’s a vast range of books and complete runs of magazines, British and US, plus ephemera like posters, programmes and medals.

Here are a few photos from Wasserkuppe and Angers. The uploading process seems to have scattered them around a bit.

img_7346min.jpg