Shipping Lipos to Australia

Kim Bailes

I am in the process of emigrating to Australia, and both removal companies that I have spoken to have been unsure as to whether I can ship Lipos in the ISO container with our furniture. One suggested binning my lipos and buying new over there, the other said put them all in my hand luggage and ask when I get there!?!

Can anyone out there provide me with definitive answer please, before I off load a couple of dozen lipos?

Many thanks.

Advert

If flying to OZ then contact the airline (I think lipos MAY be ok in hold luggage).. Trouble is you can't tell with lipos whether they WILL remain safe! and of course if the worst happens in the container its a case of a bad start down under having to buy new furniture.. Play safe..sell or give em away or ditch them.

For aircraft, discharge to 30% or below, and, there's a bunch of rules about how you are supposed to mark them up. I forget now where you can find them, but the regulations are on the internet somewhere. There's a "maximum per package" limitation as well.

Not sure if any of that applies to water bourne shipping.

See the CAA restrictions here, in addition there may be airline restrictions. You are limited to 2 batteries not exceeding 160 watt hours so it is not much use for your 'couple of dozen' Lipo.

I can only suggest that you try other shipping companies, perhaps through a comparison site such as shiply.com

All the best with the move. I took three 3S lipos out with me at end of last year to Oz as hand luggage in my back pack. I isolated all the terminals and wrapped them up individually in bubble wrap, then placed each one in its own lipo bag. All mine were under 100Wh. Just declared them at check in and showed they were safe. Did not have any problems even at the Abu Dhabi change over.

Attached is the IATA info I used. Just check with who ever you are flying with, just in case they have a limit..

• 1 month later...

I have just received a lipo from Hobbyking posted from Hong Kong using FedEx, the paper work included a declaration of dangerous goods which stated that they were to travel on cargo aircraft only.

Don't know the cost as it was a replacement for a faulty lipo and they paid.

Would think that if you have to send them separately from your other belongings the cost would be prohibitive, buying new in Australia might be cheaper and easier.