Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

Final job before the wing can be primed was to cut out and fit the little wing fences. No two diagrams I have for the Sabre show these fences quite the same shape, they seem to vary in length and some have the L/E and T/E angles perpendicular to the wing surface some have them vertical. Anyway I've sized and shaped them to what I think is correct...the important thing is they are true to the airflow and vertical when viewed from the front!

I cut the fences from 4 pieces of 1/64" ply, cross ply laminated to make them nice and stiff at 1/32" final thickess.

wing fence 1.jpg

The wing was carefully marked up, the slots were cut with a brand knew scalpel and cleaned up with a file such that the fences were a nice push fit.

wing fence 2.jpg

wing fence 3.jpg

wing fence 4.jpg

They will be removed and primed separately to aid priming of the wing but then glued in place before the final top coat is added.

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to report really over the last couple of weeks - around work and family my modelling time has been utilised in other ways - either reporting on our last event or working out how (or if) to run our next one in October! Fingers crossed we are not all on a full lockdown again by then!!!

I'm still final sanding the fus in prep for glass...crying 2

The wing received another coat of 'sauce' on the underside as I had noticed a little sag line along a join in the skins - this has now been remedied and the wing is ready for final primer then paint. To aid that process I've built a little painting jig so the wing can be held secure via the wing bolts in either orientation. It's not as cool a design as Dirk's but it's functional. Should make the painting a little easier.

wing spraying jig 1.jpg

Some foam enables a soft grip at the back around the nylon bolts.

wing spraying jig 2.jpg

And at the front the wing just drops on around the wing dowels. Just high enough off the bench for the airbrushing...

wing spraying jig 3.jpg

• 1 month later...

A month since my last update embarrassed - and truth be told not a huge amount to show for the time, not on the Sabre build anyway...

During the last week of September I was busy putting all the required Covid related governance in place for our final planned flying event of the year (10/11th Oct) with a track and trace system and event risk assessment all complete as well as additional signage all made ready - only for it then to be cancelled due to the Welsh travel restrictions coming into play the week before we were due to fly! A dissapointing end to our season.

The wing has had another coat of primer with a good sanding in between which has generated a surface I'm now happy to put the top coat paint onto with the airbrush.

I've also added the final details to the wing ready for paint, the prominant little the wingtip lights and the wing fences - both now fitted and awaiting some yellow paint!

I had to replace a number of halogen bulbs on an uplight lamp we have in our lounge - the vacform packaging looked about the right shape with a nicely formed dome so I used that material to cast some P38 'lollipops' - the wooden stick aiding handling during initial sanding.

wingtip lights 1.jpg

wingtip lights 2.jpg

A few minutes with a small sanding block got them looking nearer the part with the classic 1/2 teardrop shape.

wingtip lights 3.jpg

They then needed to be shaped to suit the wingtip radius... watch those fingertips! crying 2

wingtip lights 4.jpg

wingtip lights 5.jpg

and they were ready to fit. The tip centreline and position was marked up and they were glued on with a little epoxy.

wingtip lights 6.jpg

The wing fences were glued in place through the skins with some cyano initially and to finish off I added a tiny fillet of PVA to bridge the corner and make it all weatherproof ready for paint.

wingtip lights 7.jpg

Back to the fuselage which is still being glassed, bit by bit.

• 1 month later...

A major milestone finally achieved today as the last piece of glass cloth has been stippled onto the model! laugh

Been another slow month for me modelling wise - and in each session I kept finding more final shaping to do before I eventually committed to the glass. I've used 6 panels in total, trying to position the overlaps in areas where feathering them will be easy - I was conscious of the 90deg sharp corners around the tailplane so I did those bits separate in the hope I can maintain a nice crisp corner.

Undersides were done first, the wing fillets front and rear dictated the size of these panels.

fus glassing 1.jpg

fus glassing 2.jpg

fus glassing 3.jpg

With the undersides dry, claned up and feathered in I focussed next on the tailplane mounting faces...

fus glassing 4.jpg

Some tricky corners around the tail end but a few well positioned pins kept it all geometric and tight on the internal corners!

fus glassing 5.jpg

Finally the fin and fuselage sides were done in one big piece - this is the second panel going on earlier today which has finished the job!

fus glassing 6.jpg

fus glassing 7.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/12/2020 18:07:03

I've also done a bit more work on the drop tanks which still required their characteritic fins adding.

I cut appropriate shapes from some stiff cardboard and then applied two layers of glass cloth both sides which made them nice and stiff with credit card like properties. But with a surface now which would take paint. These were trimmed up and sanded.

drop tank fins 1.jpg

The fins were fitted with little cocktail stick guides and glued up to the tanks with cyano against a little guide ridge made from thin strips of tape. The cyano wicked into this making it quite robust.

drop tank fins 2.jpg

These are now ready for a final coat of grey primer prior to the top coat blue!

drop tank fins 3.jpg

With the glass panel edges all feathered in I gave the fus a gentle blast of primer to help visualise any lumps and highspots, then cut it back with a medium grit ready for some more of the light weight sauce - as an alternative to a resin flow coat.

fus sanding 1.jpg

Trimming the glass overhangs away allowed me to inspect the 6 gun ports for the first time. You can see more sauce is needed around here as I was very tight with the resin around these features so as to avoid flooding the tubes and losing their definition.

fus sanding 2.jpg

I just need to decide now what colour paint to add to the sauce for the fuselage - maybe a blue!? A few more sessions sanding and we should soon be ready for the cockpit detailing and canopy fix!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 08/12/2020 12:40:11

Hi Phil,

If it can be of any help, I used my acrylic water based spay cans right away - without even a primer - on my test-wing for the Dog.

1287_test_red_black_900.jpg

... and that even was on a 'pinky' (sorry) underlying sauce coat. angel

Dirk's advice sounds OK as I did nearly the same with a thin first coat of yellow, letting it dry up for a while and adding the covering coats afterwards.

Best of course is to test it with the products you have at hand.

Cheers

Chris