Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

Advert

Hi Phil, have been watching your blog with great interest. My F-86 is ready for covering but have been side tracked on a few other projects. Are the F-86 T-shirts still available? Recently I showed a friend your 2016 Skyhawk blog and he was wondering if the full short kit is still available? Still hope to catch up with all the PSS flyers at The Great Orme.

Keep safe Dallas

Hi Dallas,

As Al correctly points out - yes the A-4 is still available - in fact ALL of our previous mass build short kits, plans and canopies are still available through Sarik - The Jet Provost, the A-4 and the Hurricane.

t-shirt black.jpg

As for the F-86 T-shirts - yes shirts are still available to order - of course you have already ordered 1-off Large in March last year. My records here show your payment is still pending but that is all fine as I deferred launching the order with my local manufacturer here when we new we had to push the event date back, so no shirts are printed just yet.

Did you want to amend your order? please email me direct on that. It's a good reminder for me to 'bump' the T-shirt thread on here to see if others want to buy - now we have aligned our event for May 2021 I would want to place the order with the supplier ahead of Easter.

The blue has gone on very nicely compared to the yellow which took so many coats to get it solid and even over the grey primer - lesson learnt if we go for the yellow Meteor Andy!... i just hope my masking and sealing efforts have avoided any blue overspray! The tape should come off later tonight...

Hi Phil ,

It may be a little late now but here's a tip :

Mask the line or figure like always but stay a few mm from your line. Now put on the fine line tape over the rest , right up to the line.

When the spraying is done , but the paint still wet , pull away just the fine line tape .This way you don't have to ''break''the dry paint and avoid errors and it is much less dangerous than pull away all the tape and paper.

It' s just my way , but not the only one !

Great job BTW !!

So other than detail painting like the fences and tip lights the wing painting is now all complete - a big relief to get the tape off this evening - thankfully with very little bleed and just 2 small areas of overspary in need of touch up...

blue wing 1.jpg

Bottom side with the tape off...

blue wing 2.jpg

...and the top side.

blue wing 3.jpg

Good to see the servos again, they've been taped up for what seems like an ice age!

blue wing 4.jpg

Trailing Edge masking is always a little daunting but I've developed a new method with folded paper and it works a treat even down to 1/16th of an inch!

blue wing 5.jpg

I couldn't resist a wing tank fit before bed - they don't look quite as blue now as the wing - maybe they need another coat?

blue wing 6.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 03/02/2021 00:30:29

Spent a little time removing the masks from the torque rods and dry fitting the ailerons today, marking them up for their final element of the wing stripes - blue on yellow and yellow on blue. More yellow paint!

I refitted the wing to the fus too, just to double check the lines flow from wing to fus as I begin the masking job on the fuselage.

yellow stripe 1.jpg

At that point I had a sudden urge to see what some of the decals looked like against the now finished wing, and I couldn't help myself...

yellow stripe 2.jpg

yellow stripe 3.jpg

yellow stripe 4.jpg

I've put the wing away now until the fus is all painted...

Edited By Phil Cooke on 03/02/2021 18:19:53

Many thanks guys, much appreciated.

Dirk I realised i can't use your expert tip method and remove the fine line tape whilst my paint is wet - as I'm painting with the little airbrush the paint never goes on thick enough to give you the time - each thin layer dries so quickly - I guess this is one clear advantage of your use of the rattle cans. Also your method achieves a lovely gloss finish, the airbrush finish is quite matt and the entire airframe will require a satin clear coat (a rattle can) at the end.

I've added a little more yellow tonight to the ailerons. They still need a similar blue stripe on the top side before they are ready for hinging - tomorrows job.

yellow stripe 5.jpg

Hiya Chris,

Yes it's different in feel and appearance but it will soon become second nature and we will all benefit from the improved functionality I'm quite sure!

The fuselage still needs masking and painting for the blue stripes and the black canopy and nose.  Plus all the detail painting on the fin and exhaust, so still a bit to do - Im afraid my workrate has been grossly effected of late by my job and also its been so cold and uninviting in the garage!