Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

Not a huge amount of progress this week with my final week of work before the Christmas shutdown proving hectic as usual...

The wing tanks have been primed and final sanded and are now ready for their top coat in blue. The tailplanes and rudder and ailerons are all finished too so with some paint jigs made up I'm ready to have a go with the airbrush and hopefully I'll be able to confirm very soon that we have good coverage with the yellow on the dark primer after Andy spooked me last week.

paint trials 2.jpg

paint trials 1.jpg

Advert

Ok I've finally applied some yellow in 2 coats allowing 24 hours and a very delicate sand between application.

Certainly the first coat was a little grey on top of the primer as Andy suggested, but I didnt over apply it, and once the second coat has gone on with a little more depth I'm quite happy with the colour I think.

paint trials 3.jpg

I know exactly what you mean about grey primer. I had the same experience with the Hurricane which had a base coat of sand which wouldn't cover over grey. I had to buy extra Tamiya cans at an extortionate price. I now only use white primer under light colours - such as yellow or even red which takes on a dark hue over grey. Grey is OK for greens particularly and brown or dark blue.

I think the coverage is ok, having again reminded myself of some of the basics of airbrushing and got to grips with the paint at the correct thickness, Im happy now that 2 coats will cover the grey.

Eric it was a good idea to go with the yellow primer but I've already primed the wing in full in grey, so will keep the fus the same.

Before i mask up and paint the underside of the taiplanes and ailerons blue as needed I thought I'd build some more familiarity with the new paint and spend a bit more time with the airbrush on some less critical features - so the wing tanks and pylons got their top coat this afternoon.

paint trials 4.jpg

With the paint nice an thin I built the layers up slowly working on one then the other, by which time the first was air dry and ready for more paint, etc etc - a pleasant hour or so later we had two finished tanks - complete now bar maybe a few panel lines and the satin top coat.

The weather was foul today in Derbyshire with high winds and driving rain - so I hid away in the gargage and got a little more blue paint applied on the ailerons and tailplanes - this now sees all the small auxillary parts fully painted.

paint trials 5.jpg

paint trials 6.jpg

paint trials 7.jpg

paint trials 8.jpg

I'm still fighting my airbrush a little, not 100% sure why but I'm wondering whether one of the little o-ring seals is beginning to show signs of age, I seem to be getting a lot of bubbles in my paint reservoir and a degree of variance in air pressure during any lengthy passes. Stripped it down and rebuilt many times today in a frustrating session - still the paint is now on drying!

Hiya Pete,

I bought one of these kits and used it first on the Alpha Jet and Hurricane builds a few years back now...

Its basically a cheap copy of the Iwata Eclipse CS which my research at the time led me to as the best product for small RC models of our type, but being new to airbrushing i couldnt justifiy the Iwata cost in my head. I still think I'd buy a replacement copy again once this one gets tired (You could buy many for the price of the Iwata!)

Its a dual action gravity fed brush, with variable nozzles and needles upto 0.5mm which gives ok coverage (its still a little frustrating when painting big areas like a wing surface especially if its all one colour!) Runs well at pressures around 25psi.

There are many traditional sauces at Christmas time - we have Sloe Gin Cranberry sauce, Brandy sauce, Bread sauce and now, Freddie B's special filler sauce!

The fuselage has received it's first coat (in yellow to help the contrast) and this afternoon I braved the cold and damp conditions to sand it back with a foam block. There are still a few brush strokes evident in areas meaning it needs a second coat and resand, but this will soon be ready now for final primer - and then I can focus on detailing the cockpit!

fuselage sauce 1.jpg

Still finding jobs regarding the finish of the primer which is stopping me detailing the cockpit... the nose intake lips and extreme exhaust fluting both required more work with the sanding pads - these were hard to reach areas with the model fitted to the fuselage jig.

All sanded up and repainted with primer now...finally(!) ready for the detailing blush

fuselage nose primer 1.jpg

fuselage nose primer 2.jpg

So I got underway this afternoon with a little cockpit detailing and some initial focus on the rear parcel shelf.

I've been collecting potentially useful 'brik-a-brak' for a while as a modeller and cockpit detailing is where it often comes in most handy - the Sabre being no exception - utilising today a cut down paint pippette, a small section of white plastic trunking, a shampoo bottle top and the lid off a lipsalve stick! After each component received a little machining and shaping this is what it all looks like brought together before paint, with the excellent seat and pilot 3D printed by Andy Meade.

cockpit dressing 1.jpg

Its only cartoon scale of course - but it all looks about right in profile, the black line is where the canopy frame will be painted to for scale.

cockpit dressing 2.jpg

The clear pippette will be occupied by a piece of doweling which I've domed and will paint up to reflect the workings of the compass loop antenna. A bit of black paint will then bring all these plastic bits to life!