Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

In preparation for a bit more detail 'sculpting' at the rear of the fuselage around the jet pipe, I added a small piece of 1/16th ply to give a nice sharp corner - as per Dirks build. I then 'capped' the two tailplane cheeks with 1/16th balsa, maintaining the height and bringing them flush with the two ply F15 formers, which were just proud before on my build. These caps also enabled me to improve the scale looks and blend into the fuselage ahead of the fin, especially with a fillet of lightweight filler to complete the blend.

tailcone 11.jpg

tailcone 12.jpg

Hi Phil,

I think adding a bit of height to your fillets is truly improving their scale look.

Strangely, I added 3mm as well to mine on the Dog and it looks quite better. cool

I just came back from La Grotte 'fighting' with a start to the cockpit details and it made me think about your canopy 'height'.

I took some measures as it might be of help.

At the end of that ovoïd front screen - where the canopy should open on the full size - I took a piece of paper on top of the canopy and measured 158mm from the left edge to the right one.

You could possibly measure yours to compare, but it looks like yours is a bit to high on your pictures.

Hope it helps you.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll perform a similar measurement - Martin has confirmed that the marked line in the vac-form is conservative to avoid over-trimming with there being no framework, as a guide - so I'll nibble into it incrementally until the height looks about right.

Not easy without the framework as it looks like theres too much glass even when the overall shape is right! I might add some tape framing to aid the trimming.

You're mostly welcome, Phil.

You're right, it looks like there is 'too much glass' without a framework.

I'm convinced, reading Dirk's post, that your pilot's head should be quite close to the canopy, just following the side/lateral pic you've posted a while ago.

My pilot's head - albeit not the same as yours but a correct 1:10 scale - stands about 10mm under the canopy.

Please give us a return on your measurements as it could help a few of the builders.

Cheers

Chris

Some significant progress this morning even before getting out of bed! smile d

Postie brought home the taylor-made self adhesive vinyl decals produced by Callie Graphics in the US. A quick check and everything is exact on scale and font just as per my order - many thanks Callie - another brilliant job!

decals arrive.jpg

Milling out the exhaust pipe to the rear face of F10. What would we do without the Dremel??

Rough shaping with a small milling cutter...

exhaust 1.jpg

Cleaning it all up and close to size with a bigger grinding wheel...

exhaust 2.jpg

Final shaping was done with a home made hand too - a small length of plastic pipe with some grit paper glued to it!

exhaust 3.jpg

End result if fairly pleasing, I've left the wall thickess at 3mm for now - it needs a bit more thinning out but will do that once the outer surface has been glassed for robustness I think...

exhaust 4.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 01/04/2020 19:40:40

Hiya Steve - hope you are well!

Yes the back end is a bit shapely, but all done now. There's not much left to do other than sanding now really, I've been putting it all off, but the wing, tails, fin, and the main fus section all now need a good rub down to their final shape.

Are we due a blog update from your workshop??

I agree - superb craftsmanship as usual and as we expect of you Phil. But.... that is the advantage of a fibreglass fuselage - I had a 1.5mm exhaust wall ready made. Like the A4 Skyhawk, I have put a luminous orange disc in the exhaust with silver round the outside to make it look like an exhaust glow. Will post a picture on my blog.

I agree - superb craftsmanship as usual and as we expect of you Phil. But.... that is the advantage of a fibreglass fuselage - I had a 1.5mm exhaust wall ready made. Like the A4 Skyhawk, I have put a luminous orange disc in the exhaust with silver round the outside to make it look like an exhaust glow. Will post a picture on my blog.

With the extra build time enforced upon our MB project due to the current Covid-19 situation, I was keen to match Dirk's scale machine gun ports - they're such a characteristic feature of the Sabre and I was really impressed with the finish Dirk had achieved on his model.

To produce the required lengths and shapes, I thought it might be easier to drop the carbon fibre tube into a suitable sheet of wood then measure and sand an angled face relative to that, as opposed to carefully drilling oblique angled holes. A bit of trigonometry with Harry at the breakfast table gave me the 3 required angles for a 5mm internal bore tube giving the required lengths measured from my 3-view.

30mm length = 9.6degrees

38mm length = 7.6degrees

42mm length = 7.2degrees

I set up my drill and machined a 7mm hole grain wise into some 3/4" sheet balsa.

guns 1.jpg

I then cut a length of the carbon fibre tubing and fixed it into the block with medium CA.

guns 2.jpg

Once secured, I drew a datum along the tubes centreline, measured the 9.6 degrees (as best you can by eye with a school protractor) and offset that angle, again by eye so that it centrally bisected the tube. This was the line to cut and sand to.

guns 3.jpg

30mm length, as required, only minimal sanding was required to get there...

guns 4.jpg

The process was repeated to make a pair, then again with the more oblique angles to achieve the longer ports. I found the longest ones the trickiest and I didnt get them all right first time, it would have been easier in hindsight to have a thicker walled tube, as at 7degrees the rear lip gets very thin and I had a couple break through and fail.

The 3 different length ports complete - I will sand down the blocks further on width and add the chamfers as Dirk did to aid insertion into the fuselage - once the fus itself is all sanded and ready to receive them!

guns 8.jpg

For now, all we can do is bench test them in position!

guns 7.jpg

What a messy job this was though, so much carbon dust and the bench is now a right state!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 04/04/2020 23:10:47

Very smart solution indeed, Phil.

Quite lucky here the Dog was demilitarized before it got to BE.

It would show the difference between an apprentice, a car mechanic and a RR engineer... blush

By the way > is 'Harry' your personal trig teacher ? ...

Cheers

Chris

I was merely developing the method you had devised and proven from scratch Dirk - the maths helped but even with this I still failed to get them all right first time - any error in the created angle leads to a massive delta in length as I know you found too!

Chris, its my 10 yr old son Harry who's the keen mathematician - although he's still learning the principles of geometry, algebra and trig I love to take any chance I can to show him how occasionally I have to apply the basics in my hobby or at work... a real life worked example to share!

It was a great day for working outdoors today (albeit whilst whilst socially distancing) and in between other jobs around the house I got the fin all sanded up, taking the T/E down to 1/8" without removing the mounting 'block' which slips over F10 at the base. I wasn't sure whether the tip of the fin needs to be rounded or not so I left it square in section for now whilst I study some more photos over a beer to two this evening.

All the time whilst sanding it - I couldn't get over how similar in shape the Sabre's fin was to the much more modern Typhoon! Anyone else see think that??

fin sand 1.jpg

I tidied up the mount holes in the top planking and in the now capped tailplane cheeks, the fin dropped in nice and snug between the 2 F-15 tailplane formers and the L/E and T/E angles were checked for position. All good. Still the strake and the little triangular gussets to add and this isn't ready to glue yet - I still need to cut out and shape the 'dummy' rudder.

fin sand 2.jpg

With a bit more time before tea I trimmed and sanded the canopy down a little more on height, took approx 5mm off each side, I think it's about right now, maybe still a little high (or maybe my pilot and seat is sat a little low?) - ugh - so many variables!

fin sand 3.jpg

canopy fitting.jpg

A little more detail work on the fin today, cutting out and temporarily fitting the false rudder (it will be glued back on once it's glassed)

rudder 1.jpg

I wasn't going to add the little angled section at the base but in actual fact it stiffened up the base of the fin where the removal of the rudder had left it a little fragile. I capped the end of the rudder with 1/16th balsa to give it a nice crisp edge.

rudder 2.jpg

All back in place with the rudder taped in position for the photo. smile d A nice scale feature - even though it doesn't wiggle!

rudder 3.jpg