X9D+ 2019 or Q X7S?

Kim Taylor

I may be looking for a new system at some time in the near future, and always said that I'd probably go FrSky.

Having looked at the T9 website, I've narrowed it down to either the 2019 edition X9D+ or the Q X7S (can't afford the X10).

From what I can see, the QX7S would do everything I want it to (I don't need sliders) but the X9D+ has a new protocol (similar to Horus?) which may be the better longer term bet.

What do the experts on here think on the matter - QX7S (which seems to be marketed more as a multirotor tx) vs the 'old style' but new X9D+.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 14/08/2019 00:03:06

Advert

I have a QX7 which I use in a couple of fixed wing models. It's amazingly capable for the money, and the hardware feels good - the hall effect sticks on the S feel even better. Don't know what you've been using but Open Tx, whilst very powerful, takes a lot of head scratching at first.

Oh, the telemetry X-series receivers work well and are good value. Just make sure everything you buy is EU LBT - I made the mistake of buying a "universal" rx at first, and it wasn't!

I have a QX7 which I use in a couple of fixed wing models. It's amazingly capable for the money, and the hardware feels good - the hall effect sticks on the S feel even better. Don't know what you've been using but Open Tx, whilst very powerful, takes a lot of head scratching at first.

Oh, the telemetry X-series receivers work well and are good value. Just make sure everything you buy is EU LBT - I made the mistake of buying a "universal" rx at first, and it wasn't!

Cautionary note: I'm not an expert! However...

1. The X9D is based on a JR case so the ergonomics are really nice; ramp the stick tension up as far as it'll go and it feels as nice as my old JR DSX9. If possible, see if you can have a play with both Transmitters before parting with cash.
  2. Documentation is not good for those (like me) who loathe fast-forwarding through videos to get to the part that you want and then missing it. However, this manual Taranis X9D Plus OpenTX User Manual 2.2 helped a lot.

HTH

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 14/08/2019 08:29:04

I think basically it comes down to personal choice on the styling. There doesn't seem to be much difference spec-wise.

The QX7S has a layout more similar to the X10S, which would make a transition easier in future, should you decide to upgrade at some point. On the other hand, the X9D+ has the new Access protocol, which might perhaps make it more "future-proof". (Information on Access is limited at the moment, so I have no idea how much advantage this brings in real terms!)

I would expect QX7s to have Access in the near future as well. It may even be possible to do a firmware upgrade to the new protocol at some point, as I seem to recall reading somewhere that FrSky would offer this to hardware that was capable of supporting it.

Having mentioned "future-proofing", FrSky seem better than most at supporting older protocols, even the original V8 receivers are still available.

So as I say, I think it will eventually boil down to which styling you prefer - and that is a matter of personal taste!

Either way, you will have made a good choice! wink

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 14/08/2019 08:44:18

Thanks to all for your thoughts - all very helpful.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the QX7S, because:

As Peter brought up - I do prefer the styling and maybe by the time I buy one, the new protocol will have been rolled out on the QX7S

I like the thought that it comes with an installed battery and (external) charger as well as a nice case - mainly because I don't want the faff of ordering a load of extra bits & bobs to make it work.

I don't need the sliders and as far as I can see, this (along with a couple of extra switches) is the main practical difference in the radios.

It's cheaper!!

Hi Trevor, I will buy the tx and a suitable rx from T9 if & when I decide to go forward, and will check compatibility with them. I think I'll be using the new upgraded X series receiver as the first model I'll change over is my Wot4XL Petrol, and I understand there have been issues with the earlier rx's used with cdi equipped motors.

Alan, does the QX7S come with the frsky operating system? I thought they were open tx only - maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I have to say that getting to grips with Open tx is the one thing I'm concerned about, although as some of you have pointed out above, it's not an insurmountable problem and there's plenty of information out there. I'll probably buy the manual that T9 sell as like you Andy, I hate looking at video's and trying to copy them, I'd much rather have a book in front of me to refer to - but then I'm old(ish).

Just waiting for the verdict on my current radio and then to decide whether I feel I can rebuilt trust in it.

Thanks to all

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 14/08/2019 14:22:09

Posted by Peter Christy on 14/08/2019 08:42:54:

I would expect QX7s to have Access in the near future as well. It may even be possible to do a firmware upgrade to the new protocol at some point, as I seem to recall reading somewhere that FrSky would offer this to hardware that was capable of supporting it.

Pete

My understanding is ACCESS will not be supported by a firmware upgrade as FrSky do not want to make the ACCESS firmware accessible by putting a logic analyser on the connections between the processor and the RF chip. The ACCESS hardware uses a single chip with both processor and RF on it so the signals are not accessible. FrSky even grind the identification off this chip (although I can make a guess what it is!).

Any upgrade to older radios is by replacing the RF module.

FrSky are also dropping support for the older 'D' receivers with ACCESS. This is partly because the 'D' protocol is not legal in the EU for new products. I'm in the middle of producing new firmware for D8 receivers that uses the 'X' protocol. I have something working (FCC version so far), that controls servos and sends some telemetry back for the two analog inputs and RSSI.

Mike

Thanks for the clarification, Mike!

I guessed that it would be a choice between keeping "D" or having Access as there are only so many protocols you can squeeze into the available space!

However, I have quite a few models equipped with "D" series stuff, and also several "Old School" transmitters (including a Grundig "reed" outfit) using the "D" protocol, so I think I'll be sticking with what I've got anyway!

--

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very close to having this D16 firmware for D8 receivers fully working. I've started a thread on RCGroups where I'll be posting instruction and the firmware: **LINK**.

The initial configuration available will be:
8 servo outputs, Hub telemetry on Rx, and the option of SBUS on channel 8 instead of a servo pulse.
Failsafe is settable either from the Tx or by using the button on the Rx.
Both FCC (international), and EU-LBT fully supported (including a listen before sending the telemetry data back and not sending if the channel is occupied). You select which at bind time, it starts binding in the same mode as the last bind, but a press of the bind button swaps modes

Following a request, I've also added a "dual bind" feature. If you bind to one, Tx, then bind to a second Tx, the Rx remembers the details of the first Tx, while still only being bound to the second one. If you have the first Tx operating in bind mode when you turn the Rx on, it will re-bind to that Tx, no need to press the bind button. The details of the second Tx are then kept so you may re-bind to that Tx. At any time the Rx is only bound to a single Tx.

Changing to this firmware is "one way only" as the chip needs to be fully erased to be able to flash the new firmware, so losing the original firmware and bootloader.

I've tested in both FCC and EU-LBT modes with a Taranis, Taranis plus, QX7, and a X9Lite (ACCESS in ACCST mode). All work fine. I've still to do a full range check but on my drive at home the X9Lite was still working when I was 45 paces away (in range check mode) on the other side of the road.

Mike

Posted by Andy Blackburn on 14/08/2019 08:28:24:

Cautionary note: I'm not an expert! However...

1. Documentation is not good for those (like me) who loathe fast-forwarding through videos to get to the part that you want and then missing it. However, this manual Taranis X9D Plus OpenTX User Manual 2.2 helped a lot.

HTH

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 14/08/2019 08:29:04

What do you mean documentation is not good? There is a free 250 page manual here for the OpenTX which can be downloaded and covers both the transmitters you are looking at. Why pay £15 when you can get a comprehensive manual for free?

Comprehensive OpenTX Manual

I'm so sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific.

What I obviously meant to say was "The printed documentation that comes with it is not good..."

Yes, there are a set of free downloadable manuals but they're PDFs and if you don't like looking at manuals on the screen you'll have to print them out, in which case it'll cost you the paper and and arm and a leg for the ink, and unless you get someone else to do it it won't be nicely bound.

So, why pay £15 when you can get a comprehensive manual for free? Because it's good value for what it is, and I don't have to print it out myself. And because my printer doesn't do automatic double-sided printing.

Just my personal opinion, of course...

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 28/08/2019 08:13:34

Posted by Mike Blandford on 26/08/2019 15:22:17:

I'm very close to having this D16 firmware for D8 receivers fully working. I've started a thread on RCGroups where I'll be posting instruction and the firmware: **LINK**.........

Wow! That's a really interesting project, Mike! I take my hat off to you!

Not sure it will be much use to me though. Most of my converted vintage transmitters use the "hack" module, which is D8 (or V8) only. Shame they never made a D16 hack module.

I know its possible to use the "plug-in" module, suitably stripped, and this is something I may have to look at in the future. However, I have several transmitters that would need modifying if I were to go down this route. Maybe a project for the winter....!

smiley

--

Pete

Posted by Andy Blackburn on 28/08/2019 08:04:00:

I'm so sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific.

What I obviously meant to say was "The printed documentation that comes with it is not good..."

Yes, there are a set of free downloadable manuals but they're PDFs and if you don't like looking at manuals on the screen you'll have to print them out, in which case it'll cost you the paper and and arm and a leg for the ink, and unless you get someone else to do it it won't be nicely bound.

So, why pay £15 when you can get a comprehensive manual for free? Because it's good value for what it is, and I don't have to print it out myself. And because my printer doesn't do automatic double-sided printing.

Just my personal opinion, of course...

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 28/08/2019 08:13:34

I've a Canon ink jet printer, and I pay less that £1 a cartridge. Less than a fiver for all 5 cartridges, enough to print the whole manual out and more, but then if you want to pay more for your printing requirements....

• 1 month later...
Posted by Kim Taylor on 14/08/2019 14:19:33:

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the QX7S, because:............................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................

Just waiting for the verdict on my current radio and then to decide whether I feel I can rebuilt trust in it.

Thanks to all

Kim

Having sent my old radio away for inspection / repair, getting it back with the 'all clear' then promptly losing a third model due to loss of controlangry (the radios, not mine this time) I've bitten the bullet.

In a complete volte face I've purchased an X9D plus SE 2019 and an RX6R receiver. Looks very swish!yes No-one seems to have the ACCESS protocol receivers in stock at the moment, so I've decided to initially practice setting things up in the old D16 protocol to match my rx, then once it all works I'll flash the ACCESS firmware on to the rx and switch over to that.

I've got no other Frsky rx's, so it make sense to change over as soon as possible, I think.

Anyway, fingers crossed - wish me luck!!!!smile o

Kim

Posted by Kim Taylor on 07/10/2019 23:58:44:

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the QX7S, because:............................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................

Thanks to all

Kim

Having sent my old radio away for inspection / repair, getting it back with the 'all clear' then promptly losing a third model due to loss of controlangry (the radios, not mine this time) I've bitten the bullet.

In a complete volte face I've purchased an X9D plus SE 2019 and an RX6R receiver. Looks very swish!yes No-one seems to have the ACCESS protocol receivers in stock at the moment, so I've decided to initially practice setting things up in the old D16 protocol to match my rx, then once it all works I'll flash the ACCESS firmware on to the rx and switch over to that.

I've got no other Frsky rx's, so it make sense to change over as soon as possible, I think.

Kim

yes

Hi Kim,

I don't think that you will regret it. I have just bought a 2019 Plus SE and it is way better than my Futaba T14SG in terms of functionality.

If you fly gliders the GRX8 and GRX6 receivers are brilliant. Tiny and with built in varios and telemetry. No extra boxes or wires to .

The S6R and S8R are also brilliant.

The 2019 X9D has a new main board and more processing power than the old X9 or the Q7S.

It takes bit of work to sort out programming it but once you have got your head around it the system is very logical. Have a run through OpenTX University for the basics.

Andy

Posted by john stones 1 on 08/10/2019 00:06:04:

Posted by Kim Taylor on 07/10/2019 23:58:44:

Thanks to all

Kim

Kim

yes