Latest CAA Update

Chris Berry

Advert

Posted by Steve J on 27/08/2019 17:16:48:

Do you mean the Secretary of State?

Yes, that'll be him! I try to avoid politics and politicians as far as possible, so I'm not familiar with the current state of their respective titles! The last one I remember having anything to do with transport was Marples....!

angry

--

Pete

Reading the tread is most dispiriting in many aspects. From way back, my opinion was, as is,that these changes are the most significant changes as to how we operate. That the NFC was and still is a side show for the majority of members.

I could write much more, yet things are as they are and will become our norm. The requirements seem to change almost daily. Which raises a number of questions as to how things stand today.

1) do I require register in two different rolls. The first as the pilot and the second as the operator? Will take two test if this is the case, at a total charge of £33?

2) Do we know what the twenty questions are. Or are they randomly generated from a data base of questions?

3) Is the date a single specific date when we must have passed the tests and registered or is there a period where it is still legal to fly?

Posted by Erfolg on 27/08/2019 18:52:41:

1) do I require register in two different rolls. The first as the pilot and the second as the operator? Will take two test if this is the case, at a total charge of £33?

Yes - and no...the only charge is to register as an operator

2) Do we know what the twenty questions are. Or are they randomly generated from a data base of questions?

No

3) Is the date a single specific date when we must have passed the tests and registered or is there a period where it is still legal to fly?

from the 1st of December you will be breaking the law if you fly or allow your model to be flown without complying with the new legislation

Pilot registration/competence testing is free. A "qualified" pilot will be able to fly any registered aircraft.

Operator registration is to be chargeable. A registered operator (who will, we assume, take responsibility for ensuring a designated pilot is legally entitled to operate a model and could possibly share responsibility for airworthiness issues) it will be issued a number which must be affixed to any model over 250g before it is flown.  There is some speculation that the wording of the legislation could allow clubs or associations to register models on behalf of pilots...

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/08/2019 19:20:52

When I did the test in France, it was the same 20 questions, but not in the same order. You might, might, note, get a bit more for your money, but I doubt it.

The process is designed to produce an evidence trail. You answered the question. You can't plead ignorance.

Hostile candidates could defeat the process. A cut and paste process I dare say. But why bother, basic stuff.

Don

I am quite happy with a cut and paste type approach.

If the answers are as simple as has been suggested, then what is pasted in will be self evident as correct, there be no reason to look for a nuanced meaning, designed to test the understanding of the limit of a regulation.

Steve

Things seemed to have changed from EASA regulations will have no material impact on us modelers. To height restrictions. Then restrictions as to how close to airfileds it is permitted to fly. Then a requirement to carry registration codes on our models. That we can be required to land a model if requested by the polce and so on.

To my mind a lot has changed, always to increase restrictions.

I accept that there is little that I can do othe than comply, or cease flying models. At present I will continue, other than compliance becomes to expensive or onerous.

Steve

From the average modelers perspective, the situation has moved a long way from there is nothing to worry about. The dates you identified on your time line indicate how the situation has changed over time, and possibly could still change, for all the average modeler knows.

At the end of the day, there is little option other than comply and pay up or stop model flying.

Posted by Erfolg on 27/08/2019 22:37:05:

Steve

From the average modelers perspective, the situation has moved a long way from there is nothing to worry about. The dates you identified on your time line indicate how the situation has changed over time, and possibly could still change, for all the average modeler knows.

At the end of the day, there is little option other than comply and pay up or stop model flying.

"At the end of the day, there is little option other than comply and pay up or stop model flying".

Until someone with an ounce common sense and a grip on reality in government, decides to scrap the whole stupid idea as uneconomic and unworkable.

Posted by Cuban8 on 28/08/2019 07:35:37:

"At the end of the day, there is little option other than comply and pay up or stop model flying".

Until someone with an ounce common sense and a grip on reality in government, decides to scrap the whole stupid idea as uneconomic and unworkable.

Quite so! But we are talking about politicians here!

Never mind, lads! Come the revolution........

wink

--

Pete

Nice story about the lad and his dad having a bit of fun for a while over a local open space with their model. I don't know for sure, but of the thousands of people who operate their models now and again, quite independently and have fun when they get a few moments in a local park or wherever, is it likely that they'll say "we're only playing at it, so all the registration, tests, numbers on the toys and paying, won't surely apply to us"? That's if they even know about it.

It might do given the weight of the toy, but loads of people just won't bother because it will seem totally absurd to go though all the nonsense for (as they'll see it) just a toy that came from Ebay or any other independent source outside of the model trade.

Hi All

This is great discription of what happens all over the country I guess, with relatively cheap flying devices from High Street retailers, as an aeromodeller for the last 50 years, I fly electric on my local football field and slope soarers off the downs (With BMFA insurance) how can this regulation ever be enforced ??

Regards Ray (Looking forward to paying & taking the test )

I hope anyone going to Sywell will be polite to the CAA. They have always been pretty model friendly in the past, and I believe they would be now, if it was left to them. Unfortunately, they take their orders from the DfT, and it is the DfT that are calling the shots on this one, leaving the CAA to take the flack.

So by all means express your views strongly, but bear in mind that it is almost certainly NOT the CAA's doing. And if there is a change of heart by the DfT, we will need the CAA on side!

--

Pete

Posted by Jeremy Wilkins on 28/08/2019 12:22:49:

Having chatted to them for a bit and established that it was a father and his son, I asked dad what he thought about the upcoming 'drones registration and education scheme'. His reply was 'What's that?'

Part of the income from the registration fees is supposed to be financing an education campaign...

I totally agree with the sentiment with respect the occasional flyer, or parent and child.

It is easy to dismiss these issues as being on the fringe, yet I unfortunately see these situations as increasing the pressures on the UK model retail sector. That is both the retailer, be it a modeling outlet, toy store or department store. The wholesalers, distributors will also suffer. Your question is why, it is because demand for flying toys will fall, as retailers seek to distance themselves from potentially illegal operation. The occasional flyer will become as rare as hens teeth, as the majority will be aware of the legislation, in the longer term.

In the mean time I expect most of us will pay and do what is required, under protest.

Completely agree with previous comments regarding treating the CAA with courtesy and respect as, it is not they who have caused the issue. They are broadly on our side, as demonstrated by the fact they have left us alone for decades. It is the Department for transport who are the problem in particular the various ministers including one specific individual who seems to have it in for us even though she has moved roles.

I also agree that the occasional toy flyer who has paid £20 for a stick with a motor on the top will not think it applies to them. They are the people who need educating and it’s In our interest to do so whenever we can and in as helpful and positive way as possible. If you see someone flying in the park rather than shouting at them have a friendly chat and invite them along to your club for a free trial lesson on a proper plane. That way they will at least be aware of the requirements and might take up the hobby in a proper manner and it will help the club, the individual and us all in the long run. If they get funny and tell you to go away then at least you can tell them that they will be breaking the law but hopefully some may take heed.

Edited By Chris Berry on 28/08/2019 16:45:55