Brian Winch

But we are missing the point of this thread revival - Peter wanted to know which RCME issue had the article on exhaust rings for the Saito FA120 .    Lets try to answer that......

Edited by mod due to reference to subsequently removed postings

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 20/01/2021 14:16:23

Several posts deleted or modified to remove confusing reference to a removed post considered distateful by many, made by a banned member who had registered under a new identity. Thank you to those who took the trouble to report postings or make considered responses.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 20/01/2021 14:26:05

I have tried to add a post commending Brians style and brilliant human musings of the topic of engines. I'm not sure what, if anything I said, that caused the post to be either removed or not added to the discussion on this wonderful member of our modeling fraternity. If i did offend then no such intentions were meant.

Hi Wilco. The posts expressing opposing views to the rather insensitive posting were removed as they were no longer directly relevant to the thread.

There would be absolutely no objection - in fact you would be more than welcome - to you expressing your appreciation of Brian's contributions to the magazine and aeromodelling in a new post.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 21/01/2021 02:01:53

Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 21/01/2021 10:19:08:
Posted by MattyB on 21/01/2021 09:53:46:

All sounds intriguing. Did someone reference Brian's famously sloganed baseball cap or something?!! winklaugh

Love it smile

Its a real thing could get it at one time in the UK but I believe it was an Australian product, same stuff as easy start available in the UK which was an ether spray used to help start engines but now believe its not real ether due to people getting addicted to sniffing it.

Not sure if I've got the spelling of ether correct as it was making my spell checker go crazy

I always enjoyed BW's columns - interesting, entertaining and educational without being patronising. I've known (and worked with) quite a few Aussies over the years, and they have always been good people and easy to get along with. There was one exception - he used to be manager at the local pub, but was run out of town (well, village) when it was discovered how much he'd been stealing over the years. But he was the odd one out. Every other Australian I have known has been a pleasure to meet, and I am sure that if I'd had the opportunity to meet Brian, he would have been as well.

Brian wrote for a quarterly Australian R/C magazine called FlatOut RC which unfortunately only lasted for ten issues and then ceased due to lack of advertising and the work required to produce it.

Brian provided material for the first nine issues before his passing. The “magazine” is still alive in the form of podcasts and videos on their website.

For anyone who would like to read more of Brian’s work Flat Out RC have made available Brian’s nine articles in one pdf file for free on their homepage. The file is 77MB so it may take a while to download. Here’s the link to the file:

** LINK **

I’m not sure how much overlap there may be with articles in other publications such as RCM&E. Although I’ve only flown gliders, like many I still found his articles interesting and entertaining.

The first article in the file is an interview with Brian about how he got into the hobby which I found fascinating, I’ve read it a number of times.

Cheers,

Craig

Posted by Skip on 21/01/2021 23:35:07:

Brian wrote for a quarterly Australian R/C magazine called FlatOut RC which unfortunately only lasted for ten issues and then ceased due to lack of advertising and the work required to produce it.

Brian provided material for the first nine issues before his passing. The “magazine” is still alive in the form of podcasts and videos on their website.

For anyone who would like to read more of Brian’s work Flat Out RC have made available Brian’s nine articles in one pdf file for free on their homepage. The file is 77MB so it may take a while to download. Here’s the link to the file:

** LINK **

I’m not sure how much overlap there may be with articles in other publications such as RCM&E. Although I’ve only flown gliders, like many I still found his articles interesting and entertaining.

The first article in the file is an interview with Brian about how he got into the hobby which I found fascinating, I’ve read it a number of times.

Cheers,

Craig

yes Thank you my friend, a fitting tribute and invaluable resource. He also has a youtube channel which he started in his later days.

Edited By Phil McCavity on 22/01/2021 11:32:28