Mark's Peggy Sue 2 Build

Mark Elen

Advert

Hi Chris.

Because I have not included the small curved fairing at the front of the fin it will be the SR7 but as I said, it is "stand way,way off scale"

This week I will have the prints and PDFs done of my drawing and will email them to you. PM me with your email address

Edited By Peter Miller on 21/10/2019 09:05:38

NOw that gets confusing. The curved fairing is now on the model of the Belgian one. andthe tailplane shape is acording to one 3-view while the tailplane shape is as per the french one but the 3 view of that has the curved fairing.

Basically I shall build as drawn and the nit pickers can decide what they want to with it.

Hi again Peter,

I can imagine your confusion there, but I can only confirm you that the 'Belgian' SR7 - OO-SRZ - is wearing that 'curved fairing' in front of the fin.

sr7_brussels01.jpg

sr7_ebkt.jpg

With his version, Farman decided to leave it off and to modify/enlarge slightly the depth of its fin together with the increased surface of the rudder balance part. No idea why as I can't find any 'answers' to that.

Did you know that only three SR7 were build by Stampe-Renard. The OO-SRZ, for presentation to the Belgian Air Force to replace the SV-4, the 'French' one, built in Antwerp, transported to Farman by truck and finished/modified by them to become their Farman 500 Monitor (F-WFOF) to be presented to the Armée de l"Air for evaluation... and a third one that 'vanished' as no living soul has been able to find or locate it...

To Mark > deep apologies to squat your great build log. blush

PM sent Peter & cheers

Chris

Last few ribs in, followed by a few bits that I forgot on one wing of my Ballerina build (I had to cut the t/e sheet and ‘bodge’ it back together). Gussets and the ply plate for the aileron horns:

433553e2-6ec4-4008-9598-d81b28adcddf.jpeg

66667884-abeb-4239-b160-b34eb51630bc.jpeg

fb6f7a62-9ea4-4799-9c1f-f1b26914b8b3.jpeg

33f163c2-b61e-408d-a9dd-315d0ae232f1.jpeg

The ply plate is a 1/16 piece to fill the cap strips, followed by a 1/8 piece. Same set up as my Ballerina. That is the only rib that I have fitted the lower cap strip to.

Cheers

Mark

I made a start tonight on the servo mounting plates. They will follow the same design as I did on the Ballerina. The ones I did on the Ballerina were made by hand, these will be a bit more precise...
1/16 ply, cut and sanded to size, then clipped onto a 1/8 blank that is held in the vice. Followed by 10 minutes machining and here is the result:

a0bc30a0-c695-4186-97ed-420e56b8576e.jpeg

151aaa91-9092-4641-a83f-caf25e5a1c06.jpeg

22fab5ad-5235-45ae-881f-75461d9e2f9b.jpeg

37b66be4-0f77-4077-b995-befbe5102527.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Hi Chris,

Hope you are well mate. Good to see Gaston back making an appearance on your build log.smiley

I made a start tonight on the wing tips. Now, because I fitted the rear part of R6 along with its small cap strip, the tip didn't want to sit properly. I carefully took a small strip out of it with a scalpel. I also fitted a small piece of 1/16 x 1/4 that i had sanded to a slight angle onto the bottom spar, so that the tip will be 'sandwiched' between the spars - the plan shows a gap between the bottom spar and the tip sheet.

3e72ce84-a782-4044-b155-c4eafc9e94b5.jpeg

621d9b46-4a5e-48ad-b686-604e913db34d.jpeg

0ca43933-8a35-47cf-b628-138b2a6338a9.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Well yep, I thought Gaston, my 'very loyal' assistant, should appear again as I don't think that the PSSA followers were regular visitors of my previous builds. wink

I noticed something a few moments ago that I would like to share. When I was reading your post in my mail inbox, I really couldn't figure out what you were writing about without being able to look at the pics.

Now while visiting your thread and looking at your wing tip pics, it suddenly became a lot more 'clear'. What they say about "pictures... and a thousand words", well I'm totally convinced it truly is...

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I should have taken a photo of the tip rib to show what I was blathering on about. Unfortunately, both tips are now on and it’s not coming off the board until the ‘D’ box is finished. I’m hoping it will be OK, we will have to see.

You really can’t have a build without Gaston making an appearance👍

Cheers

Mark

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your kind comments. Yes, Peter’s latest build looks very interesting.

Tonight I have got the top brace and both top spars in:

bdbaeb79-ee2f-4d02-bb9a-6f2bdf912769.jpeg

d5b395ae-7790-46d4-9d34-3cd9f052a8e9.jpeg

Once that glue dries I am onto the 1/16 vertical grain spar webs - a job that always seems to take me ages.

Cheers
Mark

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Glenn,

Sorry, no posts for ages as the industrial unit that I was renting for work, gave me notice in December to move out, as the landlord decided to knock them down and build houses. I have been scrabbling around, both busy at work and having to deal with moving at the same time.

Anyway, because of the current situation, I now have no work at all, so one of the things on the long list to do, is to get on and finish this build. I have cleared a bit of space and am slowly getting back into it.

I got all of the shear webs made and fitted and this morning made up some packing pieces to allow me to hold the bottom LE sheet in place while I run superphatic and let it wick into the joints. I’ll do the alternate ones once this lot go off.

Image1.jpeg

Cheers

Mark