V8R4-ii Rx not binding

Stephen Belshaw

I've had this new receiver on the shelf for a few months and just got around to using it. I have followed the FrSky instructions (such as they are) and on-line tutorials for binding this Rx which is pretty straightforward:

Short signal pins on channels 1 & 2

Connect Rx to battery, red LED lights up

Switch on Tx (X9D+), select D8 mode and select bind

At this point the red light should flash to indicate that binding has taken place. Mine stays solid red so no bind achieved. I've been round the houses with this and have come to the conclusion that it must be faulty, unless I'm missing something??

Advert

The V8 series receivers use the old, non-telemetry protocol. I *think* some of the later ones had a degree of D8 compatibility, but it will never have telemetry.

IIRC you need to jumper two pins to get it into D8 compatibility mode, so it sounds as if you are on the right track. Certainly that's how you get X-series receivers into D8 mode. However, it might be worth double checking that the receiver really does support D8.

If not, you can always plug one of these in the back of a FrSky Tx to get V8 functionality.

--

Pete

Hi Pat

Like Geoff I've been using V8R4-II recerivers in a bunch of models for some years, with no problems - just had a count up and it;s a round dozen models from a diddy Limit EX slope soarer through Speedo, PMP Hawk up to to an Easyglider - they are my small receiver of choice for simple slope models. The RX aerial is diddy, but it seems to do the job okay.

I thought for binding you needed to just push the button - there is no binding plug that I'm aware of.

Fair enough, Geoff & Leccy.
I've been using 2 of V8R4's & a V8R4-II for a few years now without any problems. The V8R4's in a Veron Deacon which is virtually free flight & in a small ultra light HLG, normaly flown as a light wind, close in slope soarer. The V8R4-II is in an X-Kraft, which is fairly fast but is always flown at close range as it's too small to fly at any distance & still be within my eye range.

Stephen, I was concerned that you may have intended the Rx for a thermal glider or hot liner & may not have been aware of it's possible limitations.