Glen's Models 35% Extra 330 electrification

Advert

Moving on to the main wing I needed to glue the claw nut inside former 1. In this case the nuts plus plastic bolts are provided and they seem to be M5 in size as far as the bolts are concerned.

p1060005.jpg

The F1 rib has just about the right depth to take the claw nut so I used 5 minute epoxy while spreading Vaseline on the internal threads in case glue got on them. What usually do is slide a large washer on a bolt externally so the action of tightening the bolt draws the claw nut into the inner side of F1. Quite fiddly but got there in the end. In the meantime I had to enlarge the F1 hole to accept the claw nut which was about 6mm in diameter.

p1060006.jpg

p1060007.jpg

That done I screwed in an M5 bolt while the epoxy dried to make sure the Vaseline did its job.

p1060008.jpg

Next job to do is fit the couplers to the aileron Secraft pushrods. Most important to note that the pushrod end with the engraved line is a right hand thread while the other end in a left hand thread. In this case they are 100mm turnbuckle rods.

The job of screwing anticlockwise coupler on was a bit of a challenge, but i got there in the end.

p1060012.jpg

The bolted to the horns loosely.

p1060013.jpg

Rumour has that it might be flying weather Thursday here so on with the assembly for a couple of sessions. The prop arrived today and I am starting with a 28x10 Menz. I know some guys use 30x10s, but I am trying to keep the current draw down to start with until I am sure of the motor performance et al.

p1060015.jpg

Finished all the manufacture of the servo leads for the main wings.

p1060016.jpg

On to the servo horns. Now the Macgregor servos are compatible with Futaba fittings (25 teeth I think) so I drilled out the metal arms which will be bolted to a plastic servo arms. I would have used the Futaba discs, but they are too small so I had to use the star shaped arms.

p1060019.jpg

Used blue threadlock here for the securing nuts. Fitted the arms to the servos and lined up the pushrods which will see the turnbuckles shortened a tad when setting up. The servo screws into the wing were unscrewed and thin cyano used to harden the wooden threads that were created by the screw.

p1060021.jpg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 15/10/2019 16:41:58

Yes Rich they are both exactly the same. The light makes one look green and the other black, but they are both black!

As I am a lazy so-in-so I decided to use the PowerBox MicroMatch units on both wings for complete servo accuracy after all. I bought them from Nexus Models who supplied them very quickly. I have not put them on the wings yet, but I will cover the process in a later post here. I will be doing it via the PowerBox App using the BlueCom unit. Took me a while to find the App to download it. Not IT literate being the problem blush

I think I might have averted a possible future disaster. I am using a couple of servos that were previously mounted in the tail plane of another model for the elevators. This is what I noticed.

p1060022.jpg

A pretty severe kink in the wire mmm...... Not good.

Anyway started to finished the rudder setup and taped the rudder to allow tensioning of the pull-pull wires.

p1060023.jpg

Yeah I know, Rich and there was me thinking I was being a bit slower than my normal pace!

Talking of baby steps, I have only done a couple of things in the last day or so. What slowed me down was I decided to take out the elevator servos to examine the wires after what I found above in a couple of servos I retrieved from another airframe for this project. Sure enough they were both kinked so the only way round is was to make the notch made in the servo slot to accommodate the servo wire much bigger which seems to have worked.

In the meantime I also finished putting the servos in the other main wing.

A quick job on the main wings was to fit the PowerBox MicroMatch leads. p1060028.jpg

On to the tail wheel assembly to fit the springs.

p1060029.jpg

All fitted, but I found it a bit fiddly and drew blood trying to bend the ends! face 11

p1060030.jpg

In fact I am thinking I should use some other similar springs I have in stock that that have a ring at each end to hook through and over the arms and look more secure than the feeble effort I made to bend the wire round the arms. Back to the drawing board I think on that one.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 20/10/2019 09:53:23