Glen's Models 35% Extra 330 electrification

Advert

Ye Gods! This afternoon was a struggle. A 20 minute job took me 2 hours to get right. Furthermore, I have discovered that hole reinforcement ply squares don't stick very well with epoxy to the cowl! Cyano is a better choice so I discovered.

Any decided to fit the aileron horns and I am going to fit two servos per wing. Had to search a bit for the servo slots under the film.

p1050944.jpg

Sorted out the horns.

p1050946.jpg

Now there is not much information as to where to put then other than "close to the hinge" . In the end I measured 1 cms back from the wing trailing edge and 5 mm in from the hinge and just hoped the horn holes will line up with the working surface joining line.

Cutting the hole was a real pain as as the aileron is hollow underneath and the horns are hooked over the lite ply spar running through the aileron. The light ply also needs notching to accommodate the horn hooking over it. Not elegant at all! Don't like it! I used Gorilla Glue to stick the horns i anyway.

p1050948.jpg

p1050947.jpg

Anyway all glued in and a bolt threaded through to align things up. Looks o, but really time consuming.

p1050949.jpg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 02/10/2019 17:16:58

As I understand it, Cymaz, the second servo bay is set higher up to compensate for the tapering slope in the wing trailing edge. This means the distance from the servo arm to the horn is exactly the same. I am using 100mm turnbuckles on all wing servos. The servos will be programmed at the TX which the Futaba 14SG allows me to do. I hope that answers your question or if I am barking up the wrong tree!

It will probably be fine Adrian, but you might want to check that the servos are not fighting each other with an amp meter. Plenty of tutorials on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sscEYl_b5bk

Thats why I opted for the electronic method...wink

Edited By Rich too on 02/10/2019 18:59:18

Rich, I did consider two rudder servos, but I am using these all round:-

**LINK**

At a torque of 31kg on a higher voltage I think they will be adequate with one on the rudder for my style of flying. I have used them on both my 60cc 3DHS Extra and 60 cc Goldwing Sbach and they are really good. I am using one each on the elevators and two per aileron. The Futaba RX is comfortable with being run on a 2S lipo which will give me the voltage I want.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 04/10/2019 08:44:58

As I didn't have a manual for the finer detail I have taken a bit of an unstructured approach to the assembly. I decided to fit the rudder by threading the rod through the fin lugs. the was about 5mm of the rod protruding so I cut the rod to size and covered the location with film.

p1050956.jpg

The movement in the rudder is very smooth and I am pleased with it.

p1050957.jpg

Next I decided to trim the rods on the elevators.

p1050958.jpg

p1050959.jpg

Covering the hole with white film. I couldn't think of a better way to finish it off.

I thought I would test fit the tailplane. They are a tight fit and by that I mean a tight fit. The tolerances on the internal tube and spar are not quite right. Anyway that done I measured how long the extensions leads from the elevator servos will have to be. I am going to make up 1 metre lengths for both servos to be safe.

p1050960.jpg

That will be the next job. Meanwhile I fitted and glued the horns to the other main wing as before.

p1050955.jpg