Home Made CNC/Laser Cutter

I am currently building myself a CNC/Laser Cutter combined. It is made from parts that I printed on my 3d printer.

The other bits were sourced cheaply form eBay, Bangood and AliExpress.

It is based around an Arduino processor and controlled from my Mac.

Here are some pics of the build so far:

img_4207.jpg

img_4208.jpg

img_4210.jpg

img_4212.jpg

img_4214.jpg

img_4215.jpg

img_4218.jpg

img_4220.jpg

img_4221.jpg

img_4222.jpg

img_4223.jpg

As you can see, in CNC mode it uses my Dremel to cut. The last picture shows me cutting some control horns for my Harvard build. I will post the video shortly.

I am currently designing the holder for the 5w laser module that I have. I also plan to build in some form of air assist.

More later...

Nice one Geoff.

It shouldn’t be an issue with screw drive steppers, and your corners look pretty solid, but might be worth considering that some flexing of the frame may take place with the cnc router.

I have seen some people do similar with belt drive and it hasn’t worked brilliantly- the bit wonders quite a lot resulting in wobbly straights.

SNAP!! thingverse cnc routerp9280089.jpg

These things are addictive....MostlyPrintedCNC

p9280091.jpg

and another. This one is for pcbs

p9280092.jpg

All three are made from adapted files freely available off t'internet. The green one (MPCNC) is a real beast with an 500 watt spindle.

The first item produced from the thingverse cnc router

p9280093.jpg

also made a laser cnc

p9280095.jpg

which I used to engrave and cut facias for my flight sim home cockpit

p9280098.jpg

and this from a photo

p9280094.jpg

I agree with Robert....you may run into problems with the unsupported length of your x axis - especially when routing with a spindle

In fact, after watching the router cutting out the f/g horn you can see the cutter flexing as it cuts, it probably wont matter for the horns but it might matter for larger items. That is the trade off when making the axes' longer....

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 28/09/2019 13:31:14

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Geoff

I am seriously thinking of building a laser cutter along similar lines to yours. Just a couple of questions before I get too excited by the prospect:

1. Do you need programming knowledge or does the software do it all ?

2. Are you using Nema 17 steppers or something larger ?

3. Do you think this laser would cut 3mm birch ply **LINK** ?

thanks in advance

Hi Adrian.

In answer to your questions:

1. No real programming knowledge needed however, there is lots of info on the web about G Code should you wish to find something out. I use Inkscape for creating designs and producing the G Code and CNCjs for controlling the cutter. Both are free to download. I have gone into a bit more detail about using these on my Oodalally build here.

2.Yes - Nema 17's.

3. That looks like the same laser I use and I have cut 3mm Birch Ply. The beauty of this design is that you can cut much thicker ply by swapping the laser for a dremel.

Hope that has made your mind up for you and if you get stuck with anything, I would be happy to help out if I can.

Geoff...

There are better value laser modules out there this 6W laser is $42.36 delivered. you feed it with 12 volts and a 3v3 PWM signal. there is also a temperature output but i didn't use it. It has its regulator built inside so doesn't need the huge external PSU/step down regulator. As the output from your controller board PWM will be 0-5v (assuming it is arduino based) I suggest using a level converter like this one to drop it to 0 - 3v3.

If anybody is interested in building a simple cantilevered laser engraver/cutter I can supply a set of stl's. It requires just two steppers, eight 3d printed parts, a simple two axis controller and two extruded ali shafts (one 20x20 and one 40x20)of whatever length you want to make it (within reason!)

(While under construction)

pb140101.jpg

klingon warbird.jpg

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 23/11/2019 13:20:48

• 1 month later...

Hi Adrian.

I have the pwm/ttl from the laser connected to z+ (end stop) on the cnc shield.

Power for the laser is taken from the cnc shield. I initially used the psu that came with the laser but this didn't work because both laser and shield need to share the same ground, and I found that the laser would just stay on.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

Hi Geoff,

I have just finished my Dremel CNC from the Nikodem Bartnik design, I'm using Fusion 360 for CAD/CAM and Cncjs as the interface. Currently just messing around using a Dremel 3mm routing bit. Have you tried vinyl cutting yet, I've purchased a Chinese drag knife but need to make an adaptor to suit, I'm also interested in fitting a laser module and wondered what the capacity of these small units was in the real world, mainly in balsa and lite-ply / laser-ply.

Any info from anyone would be appreciated.

My 2p's worth.....

That depends mainly on the power of the laser. For a 3.5 Watt laser you should expect a cut of around 1mm per pass in soft/medium balsa, with a maximum total cut of around 6 mm, after that the cut gets too charred and V'd. With hard balsa the cut will be much less and with ply almost non-existent. Your best option with ply will be to use the laser to accurately mark the wood for cutting out on a bandsaw. (Or use your dremel router)

A 5 Watt laser will do marginally better, but not in proportion to the cost of the laser module and a 15 Watt LED laser just isn't 15 Watts!..they are using the input power as the rating, not the output power. For something with a bit more power you will be looking at a CO2 laser

A 40 Watt CO2 laser will happily cut 6mm ply all day long.

I would have thought you could also use a 3.5 Watt laser to cut vinyl. I have successfully cut out solarfilm without welding the backing sheet to the film