Selling scam?

sharpy1071

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.I have just had a cheque from this "[email protected]. I have had an engine for sale on our classifieds site for a few months now. Had an email from this chappy asking for pictures and a price for the engine. I had not seen this posting about him before. Anyway he accepted my price and said he would pay by cheque, with an extra amount added on to cover the costs of posting the engine and any bank charges due through currency conversion costs.

Yesterday a cheque arrived in a brown envelope,with an English first class stamp on it, but containing a cheque drawn on a French bank. I was not too worried at first, because he was adamant that I should pay the cheque into my account,wait for the cheque to clear and then advise him that I had got the money, and then wait for his shipper to collect the engine, and also collect from me the extra cash to pay for the postal costs.

When I looked at the cheque more closely, it was made out for 2864 Euros,almost £2550. It was then that I got suspicious. I took the cheque along to my bank and spoke to a personal banker. When I explained what it was all about, he advised me to return the cheque and ask for a sterling check instead. I did this and since then, I have not heard a peep from this [email protected].

I now realise that this is a "Scam", but I am intending to contact the French bank where this cheque appears to be drawn on and let them have sight of the cheque, or at least a copy of the cheque and get their angle on this strange happening. He must be able to access the "modelflying" classifieds to have been able to get my email address.

I still have my engine and this cheque that he sent me, that was 10 times more than I was asking for the engine.

This [email protected] needs stopping,can the moderators prevent him from doing this again?

Anthony.

That is an old scam.

Months later your bank finds that it was a dud cheque and YOU have to refund the cash to them.

Many years ago someone tried that on me but being a nasty, suspicious, cynical old man I contacted the police, Their cyber crime officer came and saw me and told me how it works.

I didn't believe that anyone could fail for that. He told me that a man in my own village got stung for £5000 when selling a car.

Edited By Peter Miller on 06/10/2019 08:16:58

Posted by Julian Murch on 06/10/2019 08:22:53:

Not sure I understand how 'months later' a bank can say the original cheque was bad. Surely if all banks could do that the whole banking system would collapse with demands for repayments. I always understood that once a cheque had cleared that was that.

There is a difference between 'cleared for funds' and 'cleared the system'. The former will show as a credit in your bank account within a few days, the latter can take some time. I assume with a non-uk cheque the 'cleared the system' process could take a month or two. In which case your bank can take the money back.

7 years according to the Nat West Bank, where there is Fraud invo!vement, quote

Foreign cheques are processed either by cheque negotiation or collection. The time it takes for a cheque to clear depends on which method we use to process the cheque. Regardless of whether a cheque is negotiated or collected it can still be returned up to seven years later for reasons relating to fraud.

• Cheque negotiation - Cheque funds are usually advanced within 3-5 working days after the cheque is deposited. These funds are paid with recourse which can be up to 7 years
  • Cheque collection - Payment is made when we receive the funds from the bank abroad (can take up to 6 weeks or longer), and is subject to additional fees levied by the overseas bank. These funds are also paid with recourse up to 7 years

Caveat emptor.....or seller beware in this case but my Latin doesn't extend that far.....teeth 2

Where these is evidence of wrongdoing the Modelflying team will always take action but please contact us directly & ask us to investigate. We may not see a thread like this & hence be unaware of the problem.

As far as this case goes there is no evidence of that particular email being registered on this site hence what we can do is limited. As a public site clearly anyone could see your advert & contact you directly using the information given. They would not need to be a member of Modelflying to do this.

Hi again. Have any of the other members on here contacted by this Chris McBean actually received a cheque from him. As I said, I got one in the post on Friday the 4th October posted in the UK and yet the cheque was also dated 04/10/2019.

I have googled the bank details and the cheque seems kosher. Good enough to fool some people. It was the amount of the cheque that set alarm bells ringing for me. It was 10 times the amount that I was asking for the engine. I had not intention of parting with my engine until I was completely satisfied and got the money in my hand.

But I am too sceptical in my old age to be caught out.