Cleaning engines using ultrasound.

David Davis

I have a Laser 62 which is in fine condition. Cosmetically it's a bit scruffy.

A couple of months ago I had my rotovator serviced at the local garden machinery shop. Part of the service involved cleaning the carburettor in an ultra sound machine. It crossed my mind that he could clean my Laser for me inthe same way.

If you use ultra sound to clean an engine, is it adviseable to dismantle the engine first?

If so I think I'll just live with the patina!

Advert

Nothing in a ultrasound cleaner to harm an engine. But what fluid is he using. If it's water, you will have to get it out of the engine, i.e. Get it cleared and running ASAP. If is using some other fluid, it might not be so critical. Most operators use non water solvents. Ask yer man, but I would guess it would be Ok, as carb components are delicate, and the grunge on them is not a mile away from model engine grunge.

What's wrong with a dirty engine?

On the Glow Nation Facebook page, members seen to have excellent results with an ultrasound cleaner and a solution of water and " LA's finest cleaning solution. I've a feeling I've seen for sale on Amazon, but probably a bit of an expense just to clean one engine. These Guys are seriously into Glow engines and mostly take them apart for cleaning as far as I can see.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 01/10/2019 12:08:43

Hi Dave . Ultra sound will remove dirt but wont restore the finish if its etched into the surface . A strip down and wash then a bead blast will restore to a near new finish . Polished parts will have to be re-polished . Followed by another thorough wash to remove any glass beads/debris before re-assembly .

Below is an early OS 120 I bought as a box of black oily castor coated bits .Its been bead blasted and now looks splendid Only parts to be replaced were the bearings , as you would expect ,cam cover and camshaft and followers .

I now regularly do rebuilds for club mates on old engines that are sound but look tatty . 

124_1831.jpg

124_1832.jpg

Edited By Engine Doctor on 01/10/2019 12:17:02

Edited By Engine Doctor on 01/10/2019 12:18:58