Solar Film Iron

Hello all. I am wondering if anyone can help me out as a retired flyer. Not flown for some years now. BUT. Grandson has aquired a chuck glider kit and asked grand dad to build it for him. Unfotuatly most of my kit has been spread to the four winds. Is there anyone near Conwy who could help me out with the short term loan of a Solar Film Iron. Otherwise i will need to buy one for this one off project

Advert

Nobody seems to have offered yet......

Many people still use a household iron - maybe an old one or a travel one - which works well if it's thermostatically controlled. Just a little heavier and not quite so easy to get into corners as the proper modelling irons, but works well enough.

Solarfilm is no longer made but some colours are still available. The alternative film from Hobby King is extremely good and considered better than Solarfilm and much cheaper.

Consider tissue and dope or the modern version of dope=Eze Dope  from DeLuxe Materials. Some people use brown paper and diluted PVA or tissue and wallpaper paste on sheeted surfaces.

Edited By kc on 04/10/2019 17:26:52

This was the cheapest travel iron I could find with a temperature control (others will do better no doubt) but just buy a decent modelling iron and then take up the hobby again to get the use out of it! Why build a one-off project for your grandson when you can have so much fun building hundreds of models?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 05/10/2019 12:41:00